PLEASE HELP BABY PIGEON

Animal-lady7

Chirping
Apr 11, 2021
Please help I am considering taking him to the vet but would like to see if there are any other options first!!
I checked on my baby pigeons this arvo and when I looked in one of the nesting boxes one of the baby’s was not looking good!
He is very thin and his legs are crossed almost like splayed legs but the opposite direction.
I have no idea what it is, he is still bright and I got him to eat, he wouldn’t eat the pigeon formula but I got a few blubberies diwn with protein powder on them.
Please help if you have advice pictures are below!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 4
Are the legs flexible or stuck in that position? Even with “normal” splayed legs, it seems that a lot of people don’t have luck with splinting them. It’s harder to treat in pigeons than it is in chickens. However, you’ll have better luck if you try splinting as soon as possible. If you can’t splint the legs yourself, you should definitely take him to the vet as soon as possible.

If it’s not some variant of splayed legs, I’m not sure if splints will work or even be possible. However, another option is surgery. I’ve heard of vets correcting splayed/twisted legs with surgery that rotates them to the correct position. Is the vet you’re considering an avian vet?

Are the legs flexible or stuck in that position? Even with “normal” splayed legs, it seems that a lot of people don’t have luck with splinting them. It’s harder to treat in pigeons than it is in chickens. However, you’ll have better luck if you try splinting as soon as possible. If you can’t splint the legs yourself, you should definitely take him to the vet as soon as possible.

If it’s not some variant of splayed legs, I’m not sure if splints will work or even be possible. However, another option is surgery. I’ve heard of vets correcting splayed/twisted legs with surgery that rotates them to the correct position. Is the vet you’re considering an avian vet?
Thanks for the advice
I believe it was some kind of infection as she died that night
Maybe the parents broke her legs or something drastic
But thanks anyway 😢

Back
Top Bottom