Please help Brooder requirements for bantam chicks DIY if possible

Clucky family

Chirping
Sep 20, 2019
So I have 11 eggs still incubating and looking good when candled (well I think they do but I’m just a novice) I was wondering what I need and can make for the brooder any suggestions and ideas would be greatly appreciated.
I have ordered a Ecoglow heat mat it seems per the safest option with kids involved.
I’m really after any advice I can get please and thank you

Brooder can be made out of many materials. Wood, plastic totes, card board boxes. It all depends on what you want to use.
I have an old indoor bunny cage thing which had a large plastic bottom and a cage part that goes on top but can be removed. Just thought the cage part would be good with the kids.
I’ve seen ppl make their own feeders and waterers not really sure where to start.
Mine are bantams so not sure even how big to make things.

My brooder is the box our grill came in, its approximately 4.5ft long × 2ft wide × 3.5ft tall, it is made of heavy cardboard. The top is hardware cloth I cut & bent to form fit it.
I use a heat cave as a warmer, they love it.
I use a standard round feeder & waterer but if you are looking for alternatives I've seen people make feeders out of plastic egg carton bottoms :) I would also suggest a nipple waterer, I've heard good things about them.

I have an old indoor bunny cage thing which had a large plastic bottom and a cage part that goes on top but can be removed. Just thought the cage part would be good with the kids.
I’ve seen ppl make their own feeders and waterers not really sure where to start.
Mine are bantams so not sure even how big to make things.
That would work for a week or two. Than you would need something big enough for them to run around more. Of course it depends on how many you end up with.

Feeders and waterers are easy enough to buy.

My brooder is the box our grill came in, its approximately 4.5ft long × 2ft wide × 3.5ft tall, it is made of heavy cardboard. The top is hardware cloth I cut & bent to form fit it.
I use a standard round feeder & waterer but if you are looking for alternatives I've seen people make feeders out of plastic egg carton bottoms :) I would also suggest a nipple waterer, I've heard good things about them.
I’ve seen a few notes about heat caves what are these they sound great.

I think the heavy duty box sounds great I can compost it afterwards

Back
Top Bottom