please help!!! Can she be saved?

Mommawesome

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2021
I opened the coop to this ?! She is my only bantam and the absolute sweetest hen. I removed her immediately but I'm not sure what to do to save her:( please help!!

4266201C-A264-44D2-B866-37DE6697387D.jpeg

Do you know what happened?
How warm is it outside?

She may need to be placed somewhere warm.
When you can, get some photos of the top so we can see how deep the wounds are.

Clean/flush the wounds with saline, chlorhexidine or similar - what you have on hand.
Apply triple antibiotic ointment to the wounds.

Looks like she's in shock, so gently get some fluids into her. If you have electrolytes that would be good or you can give a little warmed sugar water.

I would move her inside. Use an eyedropper to get fluids and electrolytes into her. If you leave her outside, the other members of the flock will likely beat the heck out of her. Once healed, you can re-integrate her to the flock. Unless, of course, the damage was caused BY the flock. Can you tell what happened?

My guess is the rooster got her . He's fairly large. The hens saw blood and got her :( I had commercial chickens growing up and saw it all the time . This time , they are my pets and it's too hard to see😢

Do you know what happened?
How warm is it outside?

She may need to be placed somewhere warm.
When you can, get some photos of the top so we can see how deep the wounds are.

Clean/flush the wounds with saline, chlorhexidine or similar - what you have on hand.
Apply triple antibiotic ointment to the wounds.

Looks like she's in shock, so gently get some fluids into her. If you have electrolytes that would be good or you can give a little warmed sugar water.
image.jpg

It wa
I would move her inside. Use an eyedropper to get fluids and electrolytes into her. If you leave her outside, the other members of the flock will likely beat the heck out of her. Once healed, you can re-integrate her to the flock. Unless, of course, the damage was caused BY the flock. Can you tell what happened?
it was done by the rooster & flock . Nothing can get inside!

Can you take her in where it's warmer and protected from flies getting at the wound?

Clean all the debris off the wound. And put a little ointment on the exposed tissue.

Drip drops of water beside her beak and see if she will take it in or if you have a small syringe, give her a drop of water at time.

I sort of figured it was a rooster and then the others picked at her. Been there with a rooster before. He got gone too - roosters that beat up one hen will usually repeat that behavior unfortunately. (been there too)

Back
Top Bottom