please help!!! Can she be saved?

Mommawesome

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2021
I opened the coop to this ?! She is my only bantam and the absolute sweetest hen. I removed her immediately but I'm not sure what to do to save her:( please help!!

4266201C-A264-44D2-B866-37DE6697387D.jpeg

Do you know what happened?
How warm is it outside?

She may need to be placed somewhere warm.
When you can, get some photos of the top so we can see how deep the wounds are.

Clean/flush the wounds with saline, chlorhexidine or similar - what you have on hand.
Apply triple antibiotic ointment to the wounds.

Looks like she's in shock, so gently get some fluids into her. If you have electrolytes that would be good or you can give a little warmed sugar water.

I'm looking into trying to rehome him now... but who wants a rooster like that ?! He's not even full grown :/. Worst thing , my son hatched him as a project at school and loves him 😕 maybe a rescue place ?
I moved our little girl inside. She's moved a little, but won't take water at all , even with a syringe. I'm scared to be too rough :/
Have you tried to pry her beak? I understand with the location of the wound that makes it difficult. I had a 6 week old chicken with an injury similar to this only on her neck, while the recovery period and subsequent reintegration were rough, she will be three years old in May next year!

It sounds like youve gotten excellent advise and are taking good care of her. Definitely keep your eye out for infection. There's no real way to keep the wound covered, so slathering heavy layers of antibiotic ointment on it is a good idea to keep it moist. Moist wounds heal much faster than dry scabbed wounds, and scabs itch which could encourage her to scratch at it and cause more damage. This happened to my little chick so I had to use vetwrap to create hobbles where she could walk, but not lift her foot to scratch.
Thank you ! I appreciate the advice. Yes, not considering another flock to rehome since he'll probably get worse. We have a place that takes them to eat or NC has a rehoming program . I've left message for the no kill place today . We had to put down our beloved dog last week @ 14 1/2. 😕 lots of hard lessons learned lately .
Have you tried to pry her beak? I understand with the location of the wound that makes it difficult. I had a 6 week old chicken with an injury similar to this only on her neck, while the recovery period and subsequent reintegration were rough, she will be three years old in May next year!

It sounds like youve gotten excellent advise and are taking good care of her. Definitely keep your eye out for infection. There's no real way to keep the wound covered, so slathering heavy layers of antibiotic ointment on it is a good idea to keep it moist. Moist wounds heal much faster than dry scabbed wounds, and scabs itch which could encourage her to scratch at it and cause more damage. This happened to my little chick so I had to use vetwrap to create hobbles where she could walk, but not lift her foot to scratch.

I'm looking into trying to rehome him now... but who wants a rooster like that ?! He's not even full grown :/. Worst thing , my son hatched him as a project at school and loves him 😕 maybe a rescue place ?
I moved our little girl inside. She's moved a little, but won't take water at all , even with a syringe. I'm scared to be too rough :/

"When the need arises - and it does - you must be able to shoot your own dog. Don't farm it out - that doesn't make it nicer, it makes it worse." - Robert A. Heinlein

I don't expect a chicken to act like a human, but i DO expect it to know its place in the flock. It is no kindness to allow an aggressor to live and continue abusing the innocent (or yourself) for reasons of emotion. Nor do I think it appropriate to "rehome" a rooster to someone unaware of his aggressive behaviors. As an NPIP certified breeder, I take flock security very seriously - poultry leaves my property, it doesn't re-enter.

Aggressive Roosters become meals for myself and my family.

I take no joy in it, but neither do I shirk from the duty. The bird has chosen its place in the culling line by its behaviors, I merely give motive force to its election.
x2
Been down that road and won't make the same mistake twice. The odds are against an aggressive rooster ever "recovering," and it isn't worth the risk.

Last edited:
Thank you , I'll post an update when I'm a couple days
Sadly, with all our efforts, our little girl didn't make it. It was heartbreaking as the first hen we lost. The kids wanted her buried by our beloved dog we lost😢 Our rooster is headed to farm in NC . They are aware of details. They suggested it may have been she was a bantam and he was full sized as the others . I didn't intend to get a bantam ... she was from TSC .
I would definitely get more , but I'm assuming they need to be separate from regular sized rooster ? Advice is always welcomed. Thank you again for all your help . At least I know we did all we could ! So grateful for this site and support !

I would move her inside. Use an eyedropper to get fluids and electrolytes into her. If you leave her outside, the other members of the flock will likely beat the heck out of her. Once healed, you can re-integrate her to the flock. Unless, of course, the damage was caused BY the flock. Can you tell what happened?

Back
Top Bottom