please help!!! Can she be saved?

Can you take her in where it's warmer and protected from flies getting at the wound?

Clean all the debris off the wound. And put a little ointment on the exposed tissue.

Drip drops of water beside her beak and see if she will take it in or if you have a small syringe, give her a drop of water at time.

I sort of figured it was a rooster and then the others picked at her. Been there with a rooster before. He got gone too - roosters that beat up one hen will usually repeat that behavior unfortunately. (been there too)
I'm looking into trying to rehome him now... but who wants a rooster like that ?! He's not even full grown :/. Worst thing , my son hatched him as a project at school and loves him 😕 maybe a rescue place ?
I moved our little girl inside. She's moved a little, but won't take water at all , even with a syringe. I'm scared to be too rough :/

I'm looking into trying to rehome him now... but who wants a rooster like that ?! He's not even full grown :/. Worst thing , my son hatched him as a project at school and loves him 😕 maybe a rescue place ?
I moved our little girl inside. She's moved a little, but won't take water at all , even with a syringe. I'm scared to be too rough :/

The only people who want a rooster like that want him for the table. You *may* have luck rehoming him, it would be irresponsible not to disclose the reason you seek to rehome him.

...and were it my child, they would be getting a lesson in the responsibilities that come of having pets.

/cut and pasted from one of my other posts -

"When the need arises - and it does - you must be able to shoot your own dog. Don't farm it out - that doesn't make it nicer, it makes it worse." - Robert A. Heinlein

I don't expect a chicken to act like a human, but i DO expect it to know its place in the flock. It is no kindness to allow an aggressor to live and continue abusing the innocent (or yourself) for reasons of emotion. Nor do I think it appropriate to "rehome" a rooster to someone unaware of his aggressive behaviors. As an NPIP certified breeder, I take flock security very seriously - poultry leaves my property, it doesn't re-enter.

Aggressive Roosters become meals for myself and my family.

I take no joy in it, but neither do I shirk from the duty. The bird has chosen its place in the culling line by its behaviors, I merely give motive force to its election.

/end cut-paste

It may be possible, as that's a juvenile rooster, that a flock of older hens could set him straight. Maybe. I have no shortage of roosters, and always one ready to replace my current breeder(s) - so its not an opportunity I'd explore.

Otherwise, you've recieved good advice. Separation from the flock, clean the wound, triple acting ointment, attempt to keep hydrated and the wound from secondary infection. I've had chickens survive pretty horrific wounds. If she stays hydrated, and starts eating, that's a "maybe" in my opinion.

Have you tried to pry her beak? I understand with the location of the wound that makes it difficult. I had a 6 week old chicken with an injury similar to this only on her neck, while the recovery period and subsequent reintegration were rough, she will be three years old in May next year!

It sounds like youve gotten excellent advise and are taking good care of her. Definitely keep your eye out for infection. There's no real way to keep the wound covered, so slathering heavy layers of antibiotic ointment on it is a good idea to keep it moist. Moist wounds heal much faster than dry scabbed wounds, and scabs itch which could encourage her to scratch at it and cause more damage. This happened to my little chick so I had to use vetwrap to create hobbles where she could walk, but not lift her foot to scratch.

"When the need arises - and it does - you must be able to shoot your own dog. Don't farm it out - that doesn't make it nicer, it makes it worse." - Robert A. Heinlein

I don't expect a chicken to act like a human, but i DO expect it to know its place in the flock. It is no kindness to allow an aggressor to live and continue abusing the innocent (or yourself) for reasons of emotion. Nor do I think it appropriate to "rehome" a rooster to someone unaware of his aggressive behaviors. As an NPIP certified breeder, I take flock security very seriously - poultry leaves my property, it doesn't re-enter.

Aggressive Roosters become meals for myself and my family.

I take no joy in it, but neither do I shirk from the duty. The bird has chosen its place in the culling line by its behaviors, I merely give motive force to its election.
x2
Been down that road and won't make the same mistake twice. The odds are against an aggressive rooster ever "recovering," and it isn't worth the risk.

Last edited:
Have you tried to pry her beak? I understand with the location of the wound that makes it difficult. I had a 6 week old chicken with an injury similar to this only on her neck, while the recovery period and subsequent reintegration were rough, she will be three years old in May next year!

It sounds like youve gotten excellent advise and are taking good care of her. Definitely keep your eye out for infection. There's no real way to keep the wound covered, so slathering heavy layers of antibiotic ointment on it is a good idea to keep it moist. Moist wounds heal much faster than dry scabbed wounds, and scabs itch which could encourage her to scratch at it and cause more damage. This happened to my little chick so I had to use vetwrap to create hobbles where she could walk, but not lift her foot to scratch.
Thank you ! I appreciate the advice. Yes, not considering another flock to rehome since he'll probably get worse. We have a place that takes them to eat or NC has a rehoming program . I've left message for the no kill place today . We had to put down our beloved dog last week @ 14 1/2. 😕 lots of hard lessons learned lately .

Thank you ! I appreciate the advice. Yes, not considering another flock to rehome since he'll probably get worse. We have a place that takes them to eat or NC has a rehoming program . I've left message for the no kill place today . We had to put down our beloved dog last week @ 14 1/2. 😕 lots of hard lessons learned lately .
I'll try to pry her beak .. gently . Thank you!

And with chickens, there will always be new lessons. I'm so sorry about your dog :( I had to do the same this year, she was the same age.

It could take a day or two for your girl to sort of come out of her shock. Hopefully then she'll have more of an appetite.

I'll try to pry her beak .. gently . Thank you!
I have good luck doing it solo by wrapping their body in a towel and holding them in my lap, head facing toward my knees and butt toward my stomach, so I can hold the beak with one hand and syringe with the other. It is easier with two people though. And squirt the liquid somewhat quickly, you don't' want her to breath in and asphyxiate. The first time I used an assistant she trickled in the liquid and nearly choked my hen.

Sounds like you've made the right choices, so sorry these adversities are piling upon you and yours right now.

I have good luck doing it solo by wrapping their body in a towel and holding them in my lap, head facing toward my knees and butt toward my stomach, so I can hold the beak with one hand and syringe with the other. It is easier with two people though. And squirt the liquid somewhat quickly, you don't' want her to breath in and asphyxiate. The first time I used an assistant she trickled in the liquid and nearly choked my hen.
Ok, thank you

Back
Top Bottom