Please Help! Chick Clogged Vent.

troy96792

Hatching
9 Years
May 24, 2010
Hi all,

Some of my chicks hatched yesterday and on one my chicks there was this small raisin looking thing sticking out it's vent. I left it overnight thinking it would fall off, but it didn't. I tried to run warm water on it for a minute. Still unable to come off. I put the chick back in the brooder and noticed blood on the paper towel. what is that raising looking thing stuck up it's vent and how do I get it out? Is it going to die? Can I save it? Do I pull it out? Please Help!!

Thank You, Troy

it may be pasty but I hope she lives good luck
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
chick momma10- what does pasty mean? sorry I didn't know what you meant when you said pasty. If thats the case with my chick. What can be done to cure it? I'll still be researching.

Quote:
I suspect it's part of the chick's intestines. If you keep trying to remove it, it will be worse. I would suggest a tiny dab of Vaseline or mineral oil and try pushing it IN.

Last edited:
Quote:
Not likely at newly hatched. Pasty butt happens when they have a bit of diarrhea and then bedding, food and whatnot sticks to all that, forming a crust of sorts over the vent. Then you do want to bathe in warm water and gently remove.

Sounds to me like your chick has a bit of gut hanging out. A gentle cleaning, lubing and reinstallment should work, you may have to do it for several days. Meanwhile, make sure the other chicks can't peck at the protrusion.

Thanks Ranchhand, I really hope thats the problem. I was just reading about pasty butt and figured that wasn't it. I'll go ahead and try to lube and push the guts back in. I hope I don't lose the chick.

Thank You

When my chicks were brand new, I thought a couple of them had blocked or pasty vents. Turns out what I was looking at was the place where they had connected to the egg yolk, where they absorbed the yolk into their body before they hatched. It's sorta like a belly-button and it was like a small black raisin. And I tore some of that black stuff off. Then it bled, and I freaked. Afterwards, I realized it wasn't the vent at all.

Back
Top Bottom