please help chick in trouble...what to do?

SkyRoo

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 6, 2008
Okay here is the run down

Eggs hatch date is today *eggs start chirping early am and some pip*

The chick that needs help is:

On mid morning 4/4 chick made the small star opening in the shell

On 4/5 chick made larger opening managed to get beak out with a bit of help
Dry membrane *very dry* so I wrap in wet paper towels and set fella next to sponge in incubator. Nothing helping the membrane stay moist.
Chick is presenting wrong direction *head pointing towards small end of egg and almost sideways*

On 4/6 today during the wee hours I began to slowly crack away some of the egg shell.
Membrane rip open a bit

Chick made exit from egg with umbilical cord still connected to egg and a small unabsorbed yolk on its belly. *very small pea size*

We have never see chick hatch…this is new

I know many say to leave alone…I know its not ready to hatch *the others are just starting today*

But if someone has suggestions or help thank you very very much

At the moment I have chick in small box inside incubator with moist paper towels and trying to keep him from pulling on the cord. Active fella I cant keep him still and cornered in the box to prevent him from pulling on the cord. the cord is still moist and attached to chicks belly and to the egg near the air sac. *big end*

Is that yellow gunky stuff inside the normal?
Thank you for your help

firstchickhelphatch.jpg

should I cut the cord?
how and what to use? dental floss? where to cut cord if I should do that?
will quick stop be okay to prevent bleeding?

give him more time?

any suggestions

chick is still active strop chirps and moves a great deal
despite being in problems for almost three whole days and early hatch.

edit: right now chick has already progressed to sitting upright head held up and eyes fully open
and on the move

Last edited:
I feel soo bad for the chick it looks so helpless. If I were you I would let the chick get dryer. Then get it some food and water if it cant eat are drink on its own you may have to help it. Them the cord should eventually fall off or break off. Remember chicks can only go without food and water for three days. Thanks for helping the chick out.

Last edited:
but the egg is still attached the chick try to drag this egg around with it...and I concerned that its gonna pull (rupture chicks belly yolk area) I think if it pulls too much on the cord
sad.png

If it is attached to the shell, clip it down by the shell NOT up by the chick. Keep the chick very warm and let it sleep and rest. It will move around and flop then go back to sleep. The yolk membrane will eventually start to dry up and will fall off or you may have to clip it when it is VERY dry. If you have to clip it make sure you put neosporin on it to help prevent infection. Keep it away from other chicks that hatch until the membrane comes off or they peck and pick it and cause problems.

I need to add -

See the blood in that shell? The chick pipped but really wasn't ready to hatch. They can go a day or two pipping, zipping a little, sleeping, resting, zipping a little more - all this gives them time to absorb the yolk completely and for the blood in the veins to receed. The blood in the veins means the shell membrane is helping the chick to breath by way of gas exchange (just like a human baby and the placenta and umbilical cord). It is when the blood is receeded and the chick pips that it fully utilizes the air it breaths.

Honestly it is best to wait until after day 21 or 22 to intervene.

Keep it warm and let it rest - but those veins may still bleed out that are attached to the shell if you clip it too soon.

oh thank you

okay I just check back on chick and it looks like the umbilical cord is starting to dry and shrink about halfway point between chick and egg. clear distinction in a small area of it.
do you need to tie off umbilical cord before cutting? I wonder if its gonna break right now on its own...I sure hope on its own...we give more time see what happens for the fella
at least its full of spunk.

I surely will keep fella separate. you bet
I have a tiny box in the incubator but he is already got his neck and head over ledge trying to get out.
how long abouts does take for yolk to dry? should I be keeping him on dry paper towels now?I read somewhere keep yolk moist until its absorbed...
thank you...apply Neosporin after umbilical cord detaches? at what point should this be done?

hmm.png

right I fully understand what you are saying...goodness... the chick piped 3 days ago...sitting with beak out of shell and membrane rock hard

chick in wrong position in the egg

I would not do something except this was soo long and I know chick not get out dry membrane'

prob even just 9 more hours be the difference for this little fella I understand that.
I made a call after three days approach and I took gamble that other chicks are hatching today that maybe he can make it with shell removal help.

You need to remember that even tho the membrane right around the pip may look dried out, that doesn't mean the rest of it inside the shell is dried out. I would say from looking at your picture that is wasn't too dry inside and like MP says the blood vessels show it wasn't ready to hatch yet. I wish you good luck with him, but next time set on your hands and give the chick time to hatch on it's own.

Back
Top Bottom