Please help. Chicken acting sick

Pics

tillyschick

Chirping
Feb 20, 2016
I have a chicken who just wants to lay down. She seems sad and just not herself. While all the other chickens were roaming the yarn tonight she was just perched in a corner. Her tail feathers seem down. Could this be egg bound? I'm not possitive if she laid an egg today.

Attachments

• IMG_9130.JPG
    IMG_9130.JPG
    863.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_9131.JPG
    IMG_9131.JPG
    536 KB · Views: 9
Yes, I will do what I need to. Just not exactly sure what I'm doing here! I felt all around her bottom and it does seem heavy and droopyer then normal, if that makes sense. I have some gloves and coconut oil if I need to feel inside to be sure. Hopefully I know what exactly I'm feeling for!

@TwoCrows is someone I would listen to for anything.
Read what she wrote here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/egg-binding-symptoms-treatment-and-prevention.66978/

Part of that article:
Get yourself a latex glove and some personal lubricant like K-Y Jelly or even Vaseline. Apply a tiny bit of lubricant on the index finger and gently insert your index finger into her vent. Don't go down with your finger, but straight back. If there is a stuck egg it is usually right there within the first 1 to 2 inches inside her oviduct. The Shell Gland is about 2 inches in and many times you will feel them that far back. The egg normally doesn't get stuck in the Shell Gland, but most often closer to the cloaca or vent area. If you don't feel an egg by completely sticking your finger inside her than she is not egg bound. And if there is no egg present you would be feeling into her intestinal tract and not her oviduct. The passage to the oviduct is only open when an egg is presently moving out of the Shell Gland.

If you do find her egg bound, soak her in the sink in warm water, submerging her entire lower body. Soak for about 15 mins.

Definitely read the article that KikisGirls left for you for more help with egg binding. I hope she is going to be ok!

Back
Top Bottom