Please help...CHICKEN EMERGENCY...

dc7603

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Please help...we've got 36 (35 as of about 20 minutes ago) broilers and 22 layers in separate brooders. These birds are 3.5 weeks old and have been bedded on pine shavings since they were one day old. We went to change the bedding tonight and didn't have enough pine shavings so we used a mixture of old straw and hay (probably 15 years old). The birds went nuts! They were clucking and gathering in one corner of the brooders. I told my wife that it was just a new feel under their feet and they would get used to it but an hour later they were still in the corners and were not happy...clucking and carrying on and one broiler was dead. Can anyone shed any light on this? I didn't realize that old straw could be a problem. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I don't have any scientific knowledge on this but I bet 15 year old straw could be compromised. Lets face it, 15 years ago Walkmans and floppy discs were still in use. JS Maybe try getting some shavings or newer material. I do know my chickens like their straw in their nest boxes but it has got to be really good straw. No hay, no mold, just nice, golden, dry straw.

molds. dust could have done it as well as ants.. sometimes they get in the old hay.. hopefully just the dust etc. Id just dump it totally out tonight and paper the bottom till tomorrow and run out to TSC and grab a bag of shavings.

good luck
Pink

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
just no cedar shavings.........pine only
smile.png

Thanks for the replies, my chicken house to be is in an old barn on the lower level. The upper level is full of this old hay, do you think it will be a problem to have them in the same building as the old hay? Update: I changed all the bedding back to pine shavings and my layers are still acting spooked and huddling in the corner.

To be honest I wouldnt chance it if I were you. That old hay can be home to who knows how many different molds and fungi, not to mention mites, mice, rats, etc, all of which can make chickens sick.

Any way it can all be cleared out?

do you think anything might have stowed away in the hay and you didn't notice it - snake, mice, rats??? -something scared them

Chickens hate change, too. I bought a new (additional) feeder because I had a chicken being excluded from the food. They wouldn't go back in the coop. It was incredible. Usually they just stream in there at bedtime, but that evening they stood outside the door clucking and chirping (10 months old and laying). I would shove one in the pop door, and she would squawk and fly back out in my face. I finally had to move the thing into a corner they couldn't see from the door. A week later, and it is OK again, but they were completely freaked out.

Maybe it was just the change to something new and unknown??

Sorry I am still newbie--but have Studied and Read ALOT....feel something is not right in your chickens telling u so...Just this feeling that I have had my whole life whith all creatures since I can remember---always have been like that....(Strays and wild come to me) Change the set up..they r not happy and u need to make it right...bless you all) Maybe Im weird but I dont care GOD loves me!!!!

Back
Top Bottom