Please help! Chicken fell into pond and won't move

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Picklesquidly, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Picklesquidly

Picklesquidly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2015
    Flower Mound, Texas
    Im so sorry for my terrible grammar and writing, im writing this in a hurry

So I had just checked the coop to make sure that everyone was inside so i could lock the coop, and I found out that one of my easter eggers, Cashew, was no where to be found. I checked the yard until I found her sitting in the edge of the pond where the water reached to her back (not over her chin or head)

i brought her inside and shes now wrapped up in towels and sitting in a cardboard box, and she wont move
    shes making some small noises whenever I move her but shes kind of in this crouched position

I dont know how long she was in the pond

i have no idea what to do? Please help

2. Picklesquidly

Apr 19, 2015
    Flower Mound, Texas
    Here she is now
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. lydiagirl99

lydiagirl99 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2016
    Michigan (By The Thumb)
    The only thing I know to tell you is make sure she is warm. Being wet, she will get cold easily and that can really effect her. Maybe put a heating pad under there of blow dry her off.

4. lydiagirl99

lydiagirl99 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2016
    Michigan (By The Thumb)
    She's probably just exhausted from getting herself out of the water. Some TLC, Warmth and Time and she'll bounce back, I'm sure.

5. WiddleChix

WiddleChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2016
    California
    Is she eating and drinking? Give her electrolytes in her water that should perk her up. You can also give her some scrambled or hard boiled eggs that will give her some more energy. Look her over for any wounds that could have caused her to be out sitting in the pond, that's the part that's stumping me. What is the temperature where you're at? If it's cold the water cold have put her into shock. Keep her warm and in a quite area and try to get her to eat and drink the eggs and electrolyte water.

6. Picklesquidly

Apr 19, 2015
    Flower Mound, Texas
    Its certainly not cold here; being in Texas is reaches 100 every day. I didn't find any wounds; my guess is that she fell in and couldn't get back out, as the water level in the pond was fairly low. We just used up all of our eggs for dinner today, so I can't get her any until tomorrow.

Should I keep her indoors in towels tonight? She isnt eating or drinking right now, but I just pulled her out.

7. Picklesquidly

Apr 19, 2015
    Flower Mound, Texas
    Right now im blow drying her, so at least she wont be wet

8. Picklesquidly

Apr 19, 2015
    Flower Mound, Texas
    Okay, shes doing a lot better now

She took a little bit of corn and seeds, and shes preening a little and standing
    I blow-dried her off so shes nice and dry.

I'll keep her in for a bit longer, then I think it'll be okay to put her back in the coop? Hopefully she can roost.

9. WiddleChix

WiddleChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2016
    California
    You can keep her in tonight as she is probably exhausted and youll also be able to monitor her and make sure she is eating and drinking, that's the best option. If she seems ok and like the other chickens aren't bothering her and she can roost that's probably fine. But you won't be able to monitor if she's acting ok or if the others are bothering her.

It's good that she ate something and that she has no wounds. As long as she's acting normal and whatnot she'll be just fine.

Keep us updated I hope Cashew feels better in a little bit, she's really cute. :D

10. jmonkeyx

jmonkeyx New Egg

Apr 16, 2015
    Soft shelled eggs are a possibility with shock so keep an eye on her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by