Please help!! Chicken had string around ankle. Loose Foot???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TCollier, Jul 28, 2010.

1. TCollier

TCollier Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Franklin, Ohio
    I got some chickens a couple days ago and I noticed one of them limping a bit. I caught her and found a string wrapped around her ankle. It had obviously been there for a while. Is she going to loose her foot? I got the string out and cleaned it really well and added antibiotic ointment. Anything else I can do? Or is it too late?

Here is the string that was wrapped on her ankle.
    [​IMG]

Here is what her ankle looks like after the string was removed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Poor gut,

It will be fine, if it had turned black it would have lost it's foot.

My chickens find string from i do know where and get it wrapped around their feet as do my guineas. i swear i got a string fairy here cause i am really careful with these kind of things.

3. ladybyrd3

ladybyrd3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2010
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Ohhh, poor baby!! [​IMG]

Hope all will be well. Chickens seem to be pretty resilient..... they bounce back from the oddest happenings!!! (and I can attest to that first hand ha ha ha)

4. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Time will tell. All things considered, it looks pretty good. If she is going to lose it, it will turn black and fall off... but even then it is not a death sentence... she can live with only one foot and a limp.

5. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Oh gosh. I had this problem a while back with a baby chick. The string was wrapped around the ankle, just like yours. As long as it isnt turning black or anything..I'd say she'll heal fine [​IMG]

6. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Poor thing! I would clean that real good and give it some antibiotics in it's drinking water.....I'd slather that wound with some type of antibiotic ointment too......

Good luck and let us know how she's doing!

Sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by