Please Help! Chicken not looking so good.

HaWkys

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 17, 2014
So my chicken is often laying in the dirt with her tail pointed down, also there is something wrong with her foot but i don't know what it is. She gets water and laying egg feed from dodge grain. She eats drinks and sleeps fine, but this happened before with my other chicken that died so i am very worried, here are some pictures.

P.S. Some of her feathers have also been falling off so this adds to my anxiety.

Yes she can walk but she doesn't seem to like too. She gets up to eat or drink and sits back down.

How old is your chicken ?

Have you checked the underside of her feet to see if she may a brown or black scab and maybe some swelling there ?

Have you tried giving her any vitamin boost..? She may well benefit from some Vitamin supplements especially B and E... can you post more details about her history ?

She may be moulting ...it is important to give an idea of her age...

Thanks!

My chicken is roughly 4 months old, got her around mid July, I have not tried to give her vitamin boosts, right now she is fed a mix of medicated feed and laying hen feed.

Last edited:
So..process of elimination is important..she is not moulting..too young...also too young (maybe) to be eggbound as she is not at an age when they start to lay eggs..

Have you seen any signs of blood in her poop ?

It would be a good idea to boost her Vitamin intake with some B12 and E...eggs...tuna fish are rich in these vitamins..if you are in the USA..."Rooster Booster" has all of the vitamin supplements you may need..

I hope she improves soon! Keep updating with her progress please...

Where do i get this corid?

You can get Corid at Tractor Supply, or any farm store probably. I recently found some but it was with the goat medicine. In the chicken feed area at my local TSC they also had a special Corid feed, but it was more expensive for a far lower amount of medicine. If you buy the regular medicated chicken started feed they aren't supposed to get Coccidiosis, because it has a small amount of Corid in it (but not enough to treat an already sick bird, I believe).

Definitely check out Kathy's thread that Jen posted above:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818879/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing

It sounds to me like your chick is in bad shape, so I wouldn't wait for it to drink the water or eat the medicated food. I would get the exact dose in the bird, and probably add some antibiotics...

Last edited:
You can get Corid at Tractor Supply, or any farm store probably. I recently found some but it was with the goat medicine. In the chicken feed area at my local TSC they also had a special Corid feed, but it was more expensive for a far lower amount of medicine. If you buy the regular medicated chicken started feed they aren't supposed to get Coccidiosis, because it has a small amount of Corid in it (but not enough to treat an already sick bird, I believe). 

Definitely check out Kathy's thread that Jen posted above:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818879/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing

It sounds to me like your chick is in bad shape, so I wouldn't wait for it to drink the water or eat the medicated food. I would get the exact dose in the bird, and probably add some antibiotics...

X2. Especially if you had another bird die that was acting like this. Under the dosing it would be sever, not moderate or preventative. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom