Please help--chicken won't use legs

Unfortunately if the nerves in the spinal cord are damaged, they will never be able to repair themselves. Any damage will be permanent. If you haven't seen any progress in a couple of weeks, the chances are you probably won't unless you are very determined and have an hour or two to spend daily working with the bird.

When I have birds like this at my house, I usually opt to put them down if they don't improve in a week or two's time. However, there are people who have kept physically challenged birds as pets, and have even rigged special set ups to accomodate the bird's needs. Those choices are up to you, but if you wanted to go this route, there are people out there you can speak with and get ideas. A lot of people don't have the time or need to deal with this so it is often more humane to just cull the bird.

I'm very happy to see people like you who have so much compassion. I'm sure your little birdy would thank you for giving him such a wonderful chance at life.

You know, my husband is very handy, and he actually said he had tried to think of some sort of rig he could come up with to see if the bird could become mobile again. My hubby has been so patient and has believed in him so much, but I think he's losing interest now that we aren't seeing much improvement. In addition, we are getting some new little babies tomorrow and if we want to keep them separated, then he's going to have to go. I told my girls, who are 3 and 4, this morning that "boy Aracauna rooster" (which is what they call him) is going to the farm...the farm where sick and hurt chickens go when they stop getting better. Now the real test is, will my husband be able to do it since he's really been the one that has been nursing the little guy along.
sad.png
A sad day for the Deaton Chickies.

So sorry you are going through this. i have a roo that was attacked by another, went into shock ad could not move his legs, but could feed himself if I left the bowles near him. I gave him some poly vi sol and kept him compfy with wood shavings etc. He was able to move his legs back and forth after a week or to but could only lay on his side and could not stand. I kept up the treatment because he was a little fighter and after a month or so he is back to his normal self. If your roo has no feeling in his toes it may be more severe. Predisione is good for the swelling , we used it on our dashound who they thought would never walk again, and after some time was able to do so just fine. But only you can see how his quality of life is, so we support you in either decision.
hugs.gif

Well, my hubby came home today ready to dig a hole. He quietly went out to the garage to see the little guy and then to do the job. He came back in shaking his head, which lead me to believe that he had done it. After some prodding from me about what had just happened, he said that the little roo had just gripped his finger with his toes as if he was perching. So, I guess we'll give him a few more weeks.

Yes, this VOLUNTARY movement has given us a little bit of hope. He has been a seemingly happy bird the whole time...well, as happy as a paralyzed bird could be. We'll just see. We aren't going to give up on him as long as there's progress being made.

Back
Top Bottom