PLEASE HELP! Chickens foot fell off!

I once knew the most miserable rooster on the planet. One winter he lost both feet to frostbite. He just had 2 stumps. He lived for many more years after the loss of his feet with no intervention on anyone's part. He was far too horrible to approach and care for, so his owners just let him be. He never had any issues that I know of. The loss of the feet slowed him down a bit, but he was still mobile enough that everyone gave him a wide berth.

You will need to decide if your girl has a decent quality of life as a foot-less bird. Only you can make that call.

Good luck.

I will! :) I check on her every day when I get home from school so I'll try posting then with an update then, of how she is doing!
Oh and thanks for that story I guess it helps a bit! She definetly has a lot of life of her so Im not giving up until she does but even with one foot, whenever I open the coop door she jumps - no make that hops outside and settles on the grass with her sister. I love her to death and its heart breaking for me to know how difficult mobility for her is now.

Last edited:
Checked on her earlier today and she was still doing good. Looked a little tired, probably from all of the hopping in and out of the coop for water so I gave her a little dish of water so she wouldn't have to go outside as often. I also found an interesting idea of a prostetic for her. That might be a nice posssibility, what do you guys think?

Does your coop have a roost? We have found if we have a 2x4 with the widest side up and approx. 18 inches off the ground, they will sit on their feet and keep them warm. Hope she does well.

Prosthetics are unlikely to work on a chicken. That is an idea that has been tossed around many times here, but the consensus is generally not positive.

Does your coop have a roost? We have found if we have a 2x4 with the widest side up and approx. 18 inches off the ground, they will sit on their feet and keep them warm. Hope she does well.

Yes it does have a roost and I made sure to put lots of straw in the coop just so they'd be nice and warm! I don't quite know what went wrong! Like I said earlier, my other hen was completely fine and they are the same breed (Golden laced wyandotte), so it really is a bit odd.

Prosthetics are unlikely to work on a chicken. That is an idea that has been tossed around many times here, but the consensus is generally not positive.

Okay well it was just an idea I thought I'd throw out there. I even did find somthing intersting on the internet about a rooster who lost his leg and got a prostetic. I can see if I can find the link and post it later. But again, I was just thinking aloud.

I have a mixed barnyard hen that was hatched by her mother (Leghorn) last spring. Both of her feet and part of both legs have fallen off. I do not think they were frostbitten. I had noticed that her toes were different from the other chickens that hatched at the same time, but don't really know that much about chicken diseases. There was no blood and the feet/legs were normal color. HopAlongCassidy is doing well and even laying eggs now. I wrap her stumps in Coban or other self-adhering bandages to keep her legs from getting damaged when she moves around. She does have balance issues and of course has to be housed in a safer environment than the chicken coop. Besides predators, the other chickens no longer accept her. I let her out of her "house" (big dog crate) everyday, but have to watch her since she gets under/around things and she can't maneuver well. She half flies/half hops. The only thing I have a problem with is keeping her bottom and stomach feathers clean and dry. She is so low to the ground that even with clean bedding all the time, she gets herself dirty. I live in Colorado so don't let her out to play on her own when it is wet or snowy, but she doesn't seem to mind.

AHH! Help! My tiny little flock of 3 has been living inside for about 3 weeks now because of bumblefoot and the cold weather. I just put them outside a few minutes ago. As I was holding my black crested white polish pullet (about 6 1/2 months), I noticed the ends of her toes are turning black
and are very scaley, just like the picture I saw on here.. HOW DO I PREVENT THIS AND HOW DID IT HAPPEN? What do I do?!

Hi I had the same thing happen to me but it was my muscovy duck bubba. His foot was black then I went down today and he had not foot. I was freaking out. Does anyone know what it is?
1f62c.png
1f632.png
1f636.png
1f610.png

Back
Top Bottom