PLEASE HELP!! Chicks Hatching... I think one hatched to early!?

andischickenfarm

Songster
12 Years
Jun 19, 2007
N.E. Oklahoma
I have 100 hatching eggs ready to hatch any day. 4 already hatched and one of them doesn't look to good. It seems like on his stomach where they take in the yoke the last few days, that he hasn't either takin in all the yoke or some of his insides has came out. Do you all think he'll make it if it is his insides? And what can I do to help him?
idunno.gif
sad.png

Thanks,
Andi

Sounds like rough navels. My very first hatch started that way. If it isn't too bad it will dry up in a little while. The main cause is temp too high in bator,especially if they are early. Do not pull on it (the stringy stuff connecting them to the egg) they will bleed out. Do you have more than one thermometer in there? I have like three and don't trust any of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
There isn't anything I can think of to do. So sorry! Just let it go and see what happens. How long has it been hatched? Is it walking around possibly still dragging the egg shell with it? Are you sure it is not just the cord that hasn't dryed yet? They can look pretty gooey. I can't imagine it living if not intact. Best of Luck!

Well, this is a weird story. I had a hen setting on these eggs and my she left the nest to get a drink and stuff and I looked in the nest and I seen that there was several eggs starting to pip. Well, when she went to get back in the nest, she started pecking the chick that was trying to hatch. So I had my bator with some eggs in it so I just brought these eggs/chicks in and put them in the bator. I don't know why she was pecking at the babies?

Andi

Thanks 4-H Mom. It's been hatched 2 - 3 hours. I'm pretty sure it's more than just the navel. It's more round and full looking. I'm hoping it will get better. This is the part I hate about hatching baby chicks.
sad.png

I have had that happen too and what I did is take a warm damp paper towel and lay the chick where the paper towel is against that area of the tummy. To keep it moist until the chick can absorb it and to keep the other hatching chicks from pecking it or anything. If it is still attached to the egg, you might can gently slip the bottom of the chick back into the egg to keep it covered up until the chick absorbs the yolk or is a bit stronger. I am no expert and pretty new to all of this, but that is what worked for me. I was able to save 3 out of the 4 I had like that. I agree, I think my temps were too high and probably the humidity too. I hope your little chick makes it.

Marie

Back
Top Bottom