Please Help!!! City Council meeting today!!

SeaChick

Songster
12 Years
Apr 25, 2007
Southern Maine
WE're presenting to the council for the second time tonight, and need some info to finalize the proposed amendment wording.....

They are saying that neighbor approval is needed within either 150 or 500 feet. In my experience visiting chicken coops in town, neighbors 2 or 3 houses away (ie about 150') do not even know they chickens are there!

(We know this is a silly rule but we just need info ammo to debate it...)

What do you folks think? How many feet away would you near your hens cluck?

Thanks- and wish us luck!!!!!
Stacey & Olivia
http://www.SoPoChickens.org

Last edited:
I think that you shouldn't need neighbor approval, period. I think that if you don't have to consult your neighbors before you get an abused-rescued Coon Hound from the city pound that will howl all day and night, then you should not have to consult a neighbor before you get a few hens. Think about it.

That said, if you MUST set a boundary, perhaps you should just say all directly adjacent owner-occupied homes. That is usually about five homes, and it is usually the people you know the best anyway. Renters should not have a say in things, in my opinion.

Anyway... how far can you hear a hen? My neighbor about 60 feet away complained the other day that she never gets to hear my hens. That is right- she has been looking forward to hearing my seven fluffy ladies and they are too quiet for her liking.

-MTchick

oops-typo

Last edited:
I think that if you don't have to consult your neighbors before you get an abused-rescued Coon Hound from the city pound that will howl all day and night, then you should not have to consult a neighbor before you get a few hens. Think about it.

I agree fully!

I have neighbors approx 150 feet away and they can't hear my girls. The roo is another story, but he usually only crows when he's in the coop (letting me know he wants out) and so his voice is muffled.​

Good Luck today! I only hear my roosters about 150 feet from the house with windows closed and AC on. It is only a faint sound. I definitely can not hear my hens. I would probably need the windows open to hear that. Let us know how it works out!
fl.gif

Anyone else?? I need this info today, so if you have a ballpark idea of how far away you can hear the loudest hens, let us know!!
Thanks!
Stacey & Olivia

I live in a development on 75 x 120 lots. The only thing is a requirement that the coop be 50ft from the property line. This also applies to dog runs , dog houses. There is no enforcement of this unless there is a smell problem. Dog I think is much worse than chicken. In fact if your coop is clean there is no smell. The neighbor on the side of the coop loves my girls and we are only 5ft from her line.
Good Luck and don't let the politicians decide. Check out your states basic laws . Talk to adjoining townships. Make sure you have lots of info. The better prepared you are the more they should listen.

Please keep us informed we will be sending you thoughts of support all day.

Some hens can get quite loud, especially after they lay an egg. Make sure that everyone knows that hens won't make a sound at night(unless bothered by a predator). They go to bed before it is dark. I would say 200 ft or more I can hear mine faintly. I can hear my neighbors roosters about 1/2 mile away, all day and VERY early in the morning. My hens are fine w/o a rooster, and much quieter. Good luck!! I hope you win! Merry

I think that you shouldn't need neighbor approval, period. I think that if you don't have to consult your neighbors before you get an abused-rescued Coon Hound from the city pound that will howl all day and night, then you should not have to consult a neighbor before you get a few hens. Think about it.

I agree entirely. That could be a good point to put forward to the council, but then again don't push so hard you get nothing.​

neighbor approval for chickens....that would be like asking neighbor approval for children to play outside...some are loud and obnoxious and some are quiet, Some dogs bark, and some are very quiet. whats wrong with a little bit of chicken clucking?

Back
Top Bottom