Please help colour and sex my buttons

Racol4k

In the Brooder
Sep 15, 2019
Hi this is my first attempt at quail. 21 of 24 hatched . I've read loads, looked at pictures but still not sure what I've got. Any help gratefully received.
20190915_210904.jpg
20190915_210524.jpg
20190915_210434.jpg
20190915_205712.jpg
20190915_201136.jpg
20190915_204734.jpg
20190915_205159.jpg

I totally get your confusion. No matter how many pictures you look at, when the bird is in front of you it's totally different. :) The first is a normal hen. The second is a blue face, but the picture is showing up a little blurry. If it has blue on its chest, it's a male. The third is a blue face male. The color is dark on the fourth, it may be a blue face hen. Fifth is a cinnamon male. 6th is a red breasted hen and a cinnamon red breasted male. The last picture is a normal hen and a Darth Vader male.

Thankyou so much for your help. I know the pics aren't great. I'm trying to pair them. I think I read whites don't have red around vent. Is this the same with tux

I see a couple of males. With males, they will have a bib under their neck. Basically, a smile line. Males will also have red or pink or blue coloring in their wing feathers, those are not colors you will see on females.

The top one is wither a silver pearl or a silver red breasted. They can be difficult to tell apart. A silver pearl will have lighter coloring on top of the head. The bottom is a blue face hen.

Thankyou so much for your help. I know the pics aren't great. I'm trying to pair them. I think I read whites don't have red around vent. Is this the same with tux

Whites have to be sexed by behavior. Tuxedos can be difficult. If they have a colored patch around the vent, they will have red. The red vent is not foolproof though. Some hens, especially red breasted, can have a smidgen of red on their vent. However, no hen will have blue on them, regardless of the mutation.

There are males who do not have bibs - blue face and Darth Vader for instance. Red breasted males will have modified bibs - sometimes just a thin line. Some blue face hens, especially double factor blue face, will have a few white spots up to a white necklace around their throats.

Thankyou everyone for your help. It's been a very confusing time lol.

I get that, believe me! I have a bird I was watching as he grew. At least once a week I would ask him what in the world he was. I have been selective breeding to get Darth Vader in cinnamon. Turns out that's what he was! What I pictured in my mind what he should look like was not what I got lol

Back
Top Bottom