Please help, dog attack on 7 week old chicks.

My ducks got attacked too, I used blu-kote, it seals the wound to prevent Infection because that’s the last thing you want.
I have that on hand. I'm just always wary of using it because then I can't see what's going on🤷‍♀️ I may use that on some of the superficial wounds. Thank you!

That's good. I would keep all the wounds covered in ointment and moist, reapply several times a day as necessary. They all may be quite sore for a while. If you see any signs of infection like redness, swelling (beyond what you would expect from a traumatic injury) any pus formation or bad smell, then you might need to administer an antibiotic. Many times this is not needed, I'm just mentioning in case you want to have something on hand. You can get amoxicillin as fish mox on line without prescription. You can also get clindamycin and cephalexin the same way. You can get injectable penicillin at most tractor supply stores and some feed stores, in most states. I've used all of them.
I don't like blu-kote myself except for very superficial stuff. It makes it very hard to see the tissue and assess how it's doing (as you said!).

That's good. I would keep all the wounds covered in ointment and moist, reapply several times a day as necessary. They all may be quite sore for a while. If you see any signs of infection like redness, swelling (beyond what you would expect from a traumatic injury) any pus formation or bad smell, then you might need to administer an antibiotic. Many times this is not needed, I'm just mentioning in case you want to have something on hand. You can get amoxicillin as fish mox on line without prescription. You can also get clindamycin and cephalexin the same way. You can get injectable penicillin at most tractor supply stores and some feed stores, in most states. I've used all of them.
I don't like blu-kote myself except for very superficial stuff. It makes it very hard to see the tissue and assess how it's doing (as you said!).
I'll probably go get some antibiotics just to have on hand just in case. Thankfully I already had a bunch of wound care items on hand as well. Thank you for your help!

So my bielefelder is keeping his mouth open to breathe...does that mean a lung is punctured? I thought maybe he was panting from the trauma but it's different than panting and he's done it all day.

This is the hole in his back.

Attachments

• 20210727_162417.jpg
    20210727_162417.jpg
    440.3 KB · Views: 4
He was doing it before the attack or this started after?
The air sacs and lungs are under the bones there, so unless there was a deep puncture, they should be OK. Air sacs could be damaged from below by punctures or squeezing or sharp trauma. This may just be residual shock from the trauma. Make sure he's warm, but can move out of the warmth also if needed. Is he still drinking and eating? It's very hard to know if there are internal injuries.
This shows the lungs and air sacs:

He was doing it before the attack or this started after?
The air sacs and lungs are under the bones there, so unless there was a deep puncture, they should be OK. Air sacs could be damaged from below by punctures or squeezing or sharp trauma. This may just be residual shock from the trauma. Make sure he's warm, but can move out of the warmth also if needed. Is he still drinking and eating? It's very hard to know if there are internal injuries.
This shows the lungs and air sacs:
This started after the attack, there is gurgling when he breaths deep. He is eating and drinking and moving around. He fights me everytime I go to tend his wounds.

Eating and drinking are good signs, as well as the fight in him. I think at this point I would see how he's doing in the morning. For internal stuff there isn't much to be done, and sometimes patience is the hardest thing. Time to recover and heal.

Back
Top Bottom