Please help, dog attack on 7 week old chicks.

I have a 3X2 drop pen and I'm thinking about putting them out on grass for a few hours.

My first thought: WHERE IS THE DOG?
I think they really need stability, as little movement and disruption as possible right now. It's less than 24 hrs since they were attacked. If it were me, I'd keep them right where they are now, in as a quiet and peaceful an environment as you can create for them - no movement that might hurt their sore bodies.........

My first thought: WHERE IS THE DOG?
I think they really need stability, as little movement and disruption as possible right now. It's less than 24 hrs since they were attacked. If it were me, I'd keep them right where they are now, in as a quiet and peaceful an environment as you can create for them - no movement that might hurt their sore bodies.........
She's in our backyard, separated from the chickens by an electric fence. She's a livestock guardian dog in training (obviously lol) she's only 9 weeks old. I agree, I redressed everyone's wounds and all look good. Redness is gone, just lots of bruising.

So glad they are all looking better today. Hope they all recover fully.
I have one LGD that is 2 1/2 years old, a Great Pyrenees. They are very slow to mature, so it may take quite some time before they are really ready to be trusted. He wanted to chase them as a puppy, now he could care less about them he just wants to hoover up all the droppings. Yuck. Puppies are puppies, regardless of breed. My other is a Pyrenees/Rough Collie mix, which is a horrendous combination (she's a rescue), her brain doesn't know whether to guard, herd or chase. She's 9 months old (we got her at 6 months) and she may never be trusted around small animals, just a spectacular prey drive. Time will tell.
Best of luck with your birds, if you need any more help, let us know. Great job saving those you did. The gurgling could have been from aspiration of something during the attack, and may be resolved now.

Just wanted to comment and give some advice since I didn't see anyone else mention this. Dogs, cats and other predators have gram negative bacteria in their mouths which can cause sepsis and infection in smaller mammals and birds. Keep a very close eye on them. They very likely need oral antibiotics as well.

Hope they heal up quickly! So sorry this happened to you.

Just wanted to comment and give some advice since I didn't see anyone else mention this. Dogs, cats and other predators have gram negative bacteria in their mouths which can cause sepsis and infection in smaller mammals and birds. Keep a very close eye on them. They very likely need oral antibiotics as well.

Hope they heal up quickly! So sorry this happened to you.
I will keep a close eye on them, I'll probably go ahead and go get some antibiotics tomorrow to be safe. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom