Please help...egg eating.

thomassio

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 31, 2013
I have four broody runners plus another girls and a drake. They were sitting on 14 eggs and over the past week, that has gone down to 9. The first three completely disappeared with no trace of shell etc. The last two, have both been eaten in daylight, leaving half the shell of one and just a large hole in the other (they were today and Thursday). The run is secure from everything except rats as far as I know, but the two daytime episodes happened when I was around and if it was rats I would have expected a noise from the upset broodies.

I can't think it would be anything other than one of the ducks. I know it's not common with ducks like it can be with chickens, but is it possible? It is now day 20, so I'm optimistically hoping it's the not viable/dead eggs being disposed of but maybe that's a little too hopeful. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I could seperate the Brodie's from the others but would that risk stopping them sitting?

Finally, can someone please confirm incubation period as 25 or 28 days for runners?

Any help would be great.

Thanks.
Thom.

I have four broody runners plus another girls and a drake. They were sitting on 14 eggs and over the past week, that has gone down to 9. The first three completely disappeared with no trace of shell etc. The last two, have both been eaten in daylight, leaving half the shell of one and just a large hole in the other (they were today and Thursday). The run is secure from everything except rats as far as I know, but the two daytime episodes happened when I was around and if it was rats I would have expected a noise from the upset broodies.

I can't think it would be anything other than one of the ducks. I know it's not common with ducks like it can be with chickens, but is it possible? It is now day 20, so I'm optimistically hoping it's the not viable/dead eggs being disposed of but maybe that's a little too hopeful. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I could seperate the Brodie's from the others but would that risk stopping them sitting?

Finally, can someone please confirm incubation period as 25 or 28 days for runners?

Any help would be great.

Thanks.
Thom.
28-30 days Thom.. and although we don't hear about Ducks eating eggs like we do chickens we can't rule it out. Do you have or know someone who has a trail camera, you could set it up and see if you can catch the perpetrator in the act. Sometimes if they are low on protein ducks will eat things that will give them what they need[ feathers being one even if still attached to their flock mate] Eggs are high in protein, just a thought.

Thanks for replying Miss L. I don't think I know anyone with a camera. It's getting close to hatch (maybe) day anyway is I guess seperating the flock and putting some chick crumb in with the Brodie's isn't a bad idea anyway.

Thanks for replying Miss L. I don't think I know anyone with a camera. It's getting close to hatch (maybe) day anyway is I guess seperating the flock and putting some chick crumb in with the Brodie's isn't a bad idea anyway.
Having food close by may help. and getting non broodies and drakes separated out will give your girls a much more relaxed hatch time. Don't forget fresh water and not anything too deep so ducklings don't fall in and drown.
LL
I put one for mamas on something like bricks so ducklings can't climb inside since the hole has to be cut larger. and then make the holes for the ducklings small so they can just fit their heads inside to drink and then cut larger as they grow.
I make waterers like these.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom