Please Help! Eye Problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thesearcherman, Jul 13, 2011.

1. thesearcherman

thesearcherman Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    Hello everyone. My favorite hen, a Rhode Island Red, has one eye swollen closed, pus coming out of it. This happened all of a sudden, I don't know if one of the other hens pecked her in the eye or what. Is there anything I can do? Is the eye most likely gone? Thanks for you help.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    There is an eye ointment in a tube that I saw at TSC.....can't remember the exact name of it. If the eye is oozing, maybe an antibiotic could be given in the drinking water, like duramayacin 10.....

So sorry for your hen! Hope things turn out OK,

Sharon

3. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Quote:Sorry to hear about your hen. You may want to post this in the Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures part of the forum. Might get a better response.

I'll report it for you and the administrators might see fit to move it.

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    As mentioned above, post in the Emergencies section asap.
    Since it's not known what happened to your hen's eye it's hard to say for sure what should be done.
    Neo/Poly/Dex is often recommended for treatment of chicken's eyes. You can obtain on line (tho this would take longer than desired) or from a veterinary office. Whether there is something substantially the same available in stores near you I don't know - I wasn't able to find anything similar in stores near me.
    You can call First State Vet Supply to order or to consult with Peter Brown if you'd like to discuss the situation and be further guided re: what to get. There is a nominal charge for this consult but I believe it's waived if you are ordering meds of a certain amount- and they do carry Neo/Poly/Dex.
    JJ

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:It's possible that debris could be in her eye. You can flush it with saline solution, then put an antibiotic ointment in the eye such as terramycin eye ointment or neosporin. If it doesnt clear up in about 5 days, you could possibly be dealing with a CRD.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by