Please help? Gender guessing game 4 wk BR & EE (I think?)

lafemmeale

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 4, 2009
Charlotte, North Carolina
Hi! It's probably too early to ask this, but almost all of my 4 baby birds are developing red combs & I'm worried! I live in city limits & can't have any roosters. Okay, let the games begin!

Our first contestant is the beautiful Whitey, one of my EE's. She has yellow legs, what's up with that?
38372_img_5997.jpg

38372_img_6003.jpg

Next up is Alvin (the chipmunk). I'll be heartbroken if she's a he, she's the most adventurous and my favorite. Thing is, s/he was the first to go red & is starting to get reddish wattles. Is there hope?

38372_img_5979.jpg

38372_img_6010.jpg

Next is Sweet Cheeks. She's supposed to be a Barred Rock, but she doesn't show any barring. Does that matter? She's the only one of the 4 that doesn't show any red. She's all black except for her cheeks (hence the name) and belly. She's also the shyest of all.
Picture stinks, but she has a black single comb.
38372_img_6022.jpg

Lastly is the BR Lulu, the one I'm 99% sure is a Roo. He flies a lot & had the biggest pink comb & is getting dark red wattles.

38372_img_5977.jpg

38372_img_6023.jpg

Redding Wattles:
38372_img_5999.jpg

I guess at the heart of my question is whether redding combs & wattles at 4 weeks is really a reliable indicator of Roosterism. Please say it ain't so...

Last edited:
Your black one is not a BR at all, but probably an Australorp. EEs can have any color legs at all since they are crossbreeds-there is no standard for them. I won't venture a guess on the EEs yet, though they really look more girly than male at this point. The BR has very red comb for that age, and though it's more pullet-colored (dark), could be a cockerel. Hard to say. Natural daylight is best with those since you have to see the color to ID male or female.

Hey, does this help? I heard it's easier to sex BR when they're itty-bitty?
38372_honeymoon_pictures_894.jpg

I also can't deny that it's one of my favorite pictures of them... Lulu on the far left, Sweet Cheeks "hugging" Alvin & Whitey.

Last edited:
Meant to add that on your possible Australorp, if the bottom of the feet is white, you have an Australorp and if it's yellow, it may be a Jersey Giant. In that baby pic, the headspot on the BR could go either way--I can't tell in the pic if there is alot of "frosting" across the back of the head or I'd be more sure. That's not 100% accurate, but pretty close.

A Jersey Giant?! That would be bad... I've disowned my Jersey heritage....
But seriously, the legs are black until the very bottom, then the feet turn yellow. i guess my roots are coming back at me!

I don't think pullets get pink in their combs till they're at least 6 weeks old. My guess is cockerel on all but the black one, but you will probably be able to tell for sure in 2-3 weeks.

Hi,
Did you say above that all but the solid black have some red in them? or did you just mean the top two or maybe combs? I didn't quite understand that, I think I may have read it wrong....

Back
Top Bottom