Please Help! Hardboiled egg problems...

Put them in a steamer basket with about 1 inch of water in the pot. Cover and steam. No problems peeling even the freshest eggs!

My wife has found that cracking the shell and let stand in ice water does the trick. If you want to have some real fun, make square eggs. We have this thing you put the eggs in turn a knob and it makes the eggs square. The first time we showed the youngest grand daughter (6) these, she said, "that must have hurt the hens".

I just learned the proper way to make hard cooked(boiled) eggs. Put eggs in pot, fill pot with water one inch above eggs. Bring water to a boil, remove from heat, cover and let stand for 18 minutes. When done run cold water over eggs for a few minutes or till cooled.

The shells peel very easy and the yolks come out a nice golden color, NOT GREENISH like they do when you boil the eggs in water for several (15-18)minutes.

Once again, thanks you for all the suggestions AND so many options!
I started storing eggs in 18 pack cartons in a cool storage area of my basement. Today, I boiled one of the eighteen packs (we love HBE's) with a little bit of vinegar and WOW! Perfect eggs!
ya.gif

BYC members, you the best!
hugs.gif

Well they already told you that they are too fresh so I will give another hint, the same thing happens if you want to whip the whites to make souffles, they will not get stiff if they are too fresh also. We all had that happen, I am sure your eggs tasted great even if they didn't look so hot.

I am SO glad you posted this! I was just about to post the same question, because I've been having the same problem! I will try the vinegar + cracking the shell slightly and letting cold water in idea.

I get the water really boiling first, then take a slotted spoon and put the eggs in one at a time. Works for me!

My RIR eggs were impossible to peel. We actually had a contest in our extended family to see who could figure out how to cook them so they would peel. We never found anything that worked. I once aged them for 3 months just to see if they'd be peelable - no luck!

I now have some Marans hens and their eggs are much easier to peel (harder than store bought though).

maybe the breed or strain of chicken is a factor?

Back
Top Bottom