Please Help! Hardboiled egg problems...

MTtroutwithwings

Songster
12 Years
Jul 10, 2007
Montana Country
I love making Deviled Eggs for the holidays, my boys live for them so this year, I was excited at the idea of making them from fresh home layed eggs which my pullets started laying the end of Nov. What a Disaster!
barnie.gif
I could not peel them without tearing up the egg white! I cooked them the same way I have always done with store bought eggs but I could not get the shell off without the membrane of the egg clinging horribly to the eggwhites. Why the difference? We love hard boiled eggs anytime so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Lori

yes, i had this same problem! a few months back, when i had my first full dozen of eggs, my husband wanted deviled eggs and for the life of me i could not peel them. after doing the research though, i found out about the egg cookers. who knew there was such a thing! mine is the Oster brand one, i ordered it from amazon.com for like $30. it does 8 eggs at a time, you can do hard boiled, soft boiled, or poached. they're really easy to peel and no mess!

smile.png
good luck to you.

The membrane to shell bond is much better in your eggs than in store bought.

Try using a little salt in your water, then rinse them in cold water to cool them. this has worked fine for me.

I have had the same thing happen. While it doesn't take away from the taste, it obviously affects the appearance.

If you let the eggs age they will be easier to peel. If you consider that store bought eggs can be 30 days old, if you let a dozen fresh eggs sit in the fridge for a week or two, they will be much easier to peel (but not as easy as store bought).

Good luck, and enjoy!!

KurtDude

Another thing you can do to speed up the process is just let your eggs sit out on the counter for a few days or a week. You don't have to refrigerate eggs. The idea is to make sure the egg loses some moisture so the albumin isn't as pressed up to the shell.

I have no problem peeling my fresh boiled eggs.
I put a little vinagar in the water while boiling. Then crack all the boiled eggs and let stand in very cold water for a little bit. Cold water seeps under the shell and makes for very easy peeling.

aging the eggs has been the most successful tip...works better than anything else.

One thing that I noticed is that with my RIR and duck eggs 1week old is plenty....but with easter egger eggs...they have to be at least 3 weeks old to peel well. We've gone to not hardboiling the easter egger eggs at all!

My point is....it may depend on the breed of your chicken!

Sandra

Back
Top Bottom