Please help - have no idea what to do about baby sleeping

Aussie new mum

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 21, 2008
Brisbane, Queensland
Hi all
I've posted previously about the living arrangements for my pekin bantams - one 12 months and one 10 weeks. I took your advice and made perches out of nice tree brances for the baby because she was perching on the top of the ramp that leads to the nesting box where the older one sleeps. She slept there one night after I put a towel over the coop to block out the light but tonight she went straight up the ramp and wanted to sleep in the nesting box where the older one sleeps. The night before she started on the perch then went up the ramp to sleep in the corner of the upper closed in area.
I've made the top perch higher than the ramped area. The older one is the one I adopted from my neighbour after the other chickens were injuring her. She started sleeping in the nesting box so I just let her do it. I don't mind cleaning it out every day as I have been doing. You guys have given me advice that roosting is best and that the little one obviously wanted to roost so I put the perches in. I'm now at a loss - what should I do?
My plan was to put some more wider perches with the other perches I put in and also put a perch in the upper nesting area if there is enough room - as she sometimes sleeps in the corner or as she tried tonight to sleep in the nesting box in the sawdust, should I put another box in that area for her as well?
My coop about 1.5 m long, 1 m high and about .5m wide. A ramp leads to an upper enclosed area where the nesting box is. I put the new perches at the opposite end of the coop.
Its 11pm here and I just went and checked on them - the older one is in the nesing box (it is just an open box that I put sawdust in) and the little one is perched on the edge of the box - they seem to be getting on ok. I just want to do the right thing.
Thank you

I would just continue doing what you're doing, if that's what you want, and if they are happy and content. Why change it if it's working okay for everyone. You can continue adding to it, to give them other sleeping arrangements. You don't always sleep the same way everynight, do you?

If the roost/perch is not wide enough she will not want to be on it. Your chickens seem to be fine. Why are you stressing over this? Relax and enjoy the chickens. At 11 pm your going out it disturbs their sleep.

Hi
Thanks for your comments. The perches I put in are about the thickness of a broomstick except they are branches. I went down to check on them as there had been a bit of cheeping earlier and I wanted to make sure the little one hadn't been picked on and was sleeping safely. What I'm thinking of doing is making a nesting box that is actually big enough for both of them and attaching a wider piece of wood for a perch if the little one wants it. I'm also going to put a wider perch with the other perches. Any further comments would be appreciated. I love these little girls and now that the older one has healed from her injuries, just want them to be happy
smile.png

thumbsup.gif
Do what Miss Prissy says, calm down! lol breathe! If they are happy, content, eating and drinking, they are fine! Let those babies sleep at night. And before you ask, yes they might would like a blanket and pillow, but they really don't need it.
lol.png
Do they roam around the yard during the day? They might not need so many perches if it's just the two of them togather in the same area. Too many takes away from room they could use doing something else. If they like them and use them, then it might not be a problem. But too many that aren't used, takes up space. Enjoy your babies, post some pics. Good Luck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom