PLEASE HELP!!! Hen lethargic!!!!

chickencrazy429

Songster
6 Years
Hi! I have 7 chickens... The four younger ones are separated from the three older ones cause the younger ones aren't old enough to live with the hens.... So really I have three hens in one coop. My one hen, Buttermilk, is a big talker, she is always moving and quick to get out the door of the coop. If there is a little one in her way she chases it off. She keeps up with the other two hens, and carries herself very regally. She is around three years old, if not almost three. She is a New Hampshire Red. She is also a great layer, consistently lays large eggs every day on a regular basis. This morning it was dreary and lightly raining, but the hens wanted to come out anyways. Butter was a bit slower than usual, but I didn't really think about it... So this afternoon I went out to let them out and collect eggs. I opened the door and Snap and Bisquick (the other two hens) come flooding out as usual. But Buttermilk hangs back. I take a few steps away from the door because my chickens are polite and normally wait for the other person to go...
wink.png
Well she finally made it out of the coop and she is soooooooo sloooooooow. I watched her poop, and it looked fine and she pooped with no trouble at all! She hasn't laid an egg yet today though. So as I was observing her, something just wasn't right. I called them for treats, and she came-- but slowly. When I did give them the treats, she only ate on piece of the cat food while the others were horking it down. She is very lethargic, not moving much, and it looks like she is sort of stiff. She was fine this morning though! I don't know what to do with her! I lost my only bantam in January, and I really don't want to lose another anytime soon. I'll try to post a video of her later... Thanks in advance-- chickencrazy429

She might be egg bound. Put her in a wire cage with a wire bottom. Place a pan of steaming water (not hot enough that it would burn her tho) about 6-8 in. from the bottom of the cage. If in about 30 min. she doesn't show any signs of inprovement i don't know what's wrong with her.

She might be egg bound. Put her in a wire cage with a wire bottom. Place a pan of steaming water (not hot enough that it would burn her tho) about 6-8 in. from the bottom of the cage. If in about 30 min. she doesn't show any signs of inprovement i don't know what's wrong with her.
I was hoping that she wasn't. :( I don't have a wire cage.... should I give her a warm bath, though? I have a big mudroom sink...

That would work. Make it a warm bath. If your finger is comfortable in the water your hen will be too.

Pick her up and feel her all over. Check and see if you can detect any generalized lower abdominal swelling, like from between the legs on back. Maybe check out a normal bird first so you'll easily pick up on any difference in her. You can also observe and see if she's walking with a wide legged, waddling stance. Hopefully she has none of these things and maybe just a stuck egg.

I would check her crop. If it is full I would wait and re-check it first thing in the morning when it should be empty. If still full she may have an impacted or sour crop. You could separate her for today with food and water so that you could observe how much she is eating, what her poops look like, and any eggs that are laid. If you suspect her being egg bound you can take a rubber gloved finger, lubricate it and examine her vent for an egg. If you feel something, then set her in warm water for 20 minutes to see if she passes the egg. Chickens of any age can get coccidiosis if a new strain is brought into the coop by new chickens or on your shoes.

I would check her crop. If it is full I would wait and re-check it first thing in the morning when it should be empty. If still full she may have an impacted or sour crop. You could separate her for today with food and water so that you could observe how much she is eating, what her poops look like, and any eggs that are laid. If you suspect her being egg bound you can take a rubber gloved finger, lubricate it and examine her vent for an egg. If you feel something, then set her in warm water for 20 minutes to see if she passes the egg. Chickens of any age can get coccidiosis if a new strain is brought into the coop by new chickens or on your shoes.
I also did check her crop, and it's fine. Sometimes she has really good foraging days where it's huge, but then it's normal in the morning. Thank you. :)

Pick her up and feel her all over. Check and see if you can detect any generalized lower abdominal swelling, like from between the legs on back. Maybe check out a normal bird first so you'll easily pick up on any difference in her. You can also observe and see if she's walking with a wide legged, waddling stance. Hopefully she has none of these things and maybe just a stuck egg.
I did feel all over her. Didn't really feel nothing abnormal... She's walking fine, just super slow. I'm going to soak her in a warm bath for a bit and see if that helps....

Back
Top Bottom