Please help: hen or cock?

ernie85017

Songster
9 Years
Jun 24, 2012
I couldn't figure which forum part to put this in, so here it is.

Someone threw a baby rooster over my fence, likely because I have chickens and they thought I would take care of it and they were too lazy to take it to the feed store to find a home. Don't get me started.

I can't decide if he is truly a rooster. He had pointed tail feathers when he arrived as a little guy. (How he eluded my dogs is a mystery.) Those feathers fell out and were replaced with rounded ended feathers in his tail. There are TWO feathers which narrow abruptly near their ends and become pointed. I never saw a feather like this before, and I have had roosters. There are a couple of pictures showing these two feathers.

The saddle feathers are rounded. But his wings are longer than his body (for dancing the girls). No signs of enlarging comb or wattles yet.

Can anyone tell me if he is a boy? It's funny, his voice is starting to change a little, so in people years he might be 11 years old. No crowing attempts. I can't even tell how old he is. Maybe someone could tell his breed? He has yellow feet.

Neck markings are like my ameraucana girls, but no blue feet.

The shots you have are great - but would be even better with at least one picture showing all the pieces of the puzzle together - meaning a side shot of the whole bird, tip to tail, including legs.

I have studied my female bantams today...extensively...and that is one female you have there...feathers are identical to "Tiny" and the colouring us almost identical too...

Suzie,
Thanks for the reply.
Does anyone have an explanation for the tail feathers that abruptly taper to a point? There are only 2 of them. Never saw this before.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom