Please Help...Hen's Beak cut to the quick. Cracked? Not eating or drinking!Lethargic

Hensii

Chirping
Dec 29, 2021
Bahrain-Middle East
Her beak was overgrown. My mother let me cut it for the first time, and I cut way into the quick. Red dots were starting to form and I applied cornstarch immediately. There's no bleeding but the red is still there.

She hasn't touched her food but drank water and is now sleeping. Anything I should know? Should I make the food more watery now?

I'm hoping it heals. I feel so bad.

Do you have photos?

She'll be sore for a few days, but should heal ok. I would offer her wet feed and see that she's drinking.

I know you feel bad, I would too, but it's already done:hugs Next time, trim just a little at a time and smooth with a file.
This article may help you.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/beak-and-claw-trimming.74570/
She's not eating or drinking. She's sleeping rn but it's 7 and she doesn't fully get active till like 8.

She went to eat the food when I set it twice but banged her beak on the metal bowl instead both times and left. (Blind)

Here are some pictures
20220618_071515.jpg
20220618_071428.jpg

She's not eating or drinking. She's sleeping rn but it's 7 and she doesn't fully get active till like 8.

She went to eat the food when I set it twice but banged her beak on the metal bowl instead both times and left. (Blind)

Here are some picturesView attachment 3152971View attachment 3152974
Still no change. She pecked at the bowl a couple of times and sniffed around a bit and left.

Still no change. She pecked at the bowl a couple of times and sniffed around a bit and left.
She's not eating or drinking. Mostly sleeping. If I put some yogurt at the tip of her mouth, she painstainkingly swallows it, jerking her neck and wincing.

How do I get her to drink water atleast? How long will the beak take to heal

Edit- forcefully giving some vitamins/antibiotics water. Perked up a bit and slept. Think the beak looks a bit better too. Still no change. Any ideas ? @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive
20220618_141454.jpg

Last edited:
Is the bottom part extending that far out from the upper?

This may be part of the reason why she's struggling.

Anything inside her beak like lesions? Is her crop emptying?
Not that far I think. I doubt its due to the length. She mostly winces in pain and jerks her neck when she's forced to swallow.

Here's a picture I took earlier.
Haven't checked for lessons. Her poop is mostly white watery stuff.
Will check for lessions and her crop in the morning
20220618_141445.jpg

Is the bottom part extending that far out from the upper?

This may be part of the reason why she's struggling.

Anything inside her beak like lesions? Is her crop emptying?
Her crop is empty. She was yawning a bit but otherwise no change. Still doesn't eat or drink. Might take her to the vet today.

20220619_061733.jpg
20220619_061831.jpg

Is the tip of the beak still hanging where you tried to trim it? If it is, then that's going to be painful and make it hard for her to eat.

She's quite pale. Does she get outside in the sunshine and fresh air?

Back
Top Bottom