Please help! House finch rejected her 4 eggs!

So I canceled it super quick and there is movement! So I sprayed again and refilled water and it’s at 100 degrees and 60-62 humidity. If it hatches how do I change this set up and what do I do with the lid? I need to use the same light bulb it’s all I have. 383EF3EE-5F3B-48A4-BA59-B0A4BB58A1D1.jpeg 50D0C923-67C5-4C1F-9626-605E33504B15.jpeg

All you can do is try. Being such tiny eggs they will lose moisture faster than larger eggs so I would set the humidity quite high - like 55-60%. Finches are difficult to raise from hatch (much easier if their parents at least start the process of feeding them), but like I said, all you can do is try.

I had trouble with a male finch attacking his newborn chicks. It took them having a few clutches for me to figure out what was going on. I thought maybe a mouse was getting into the aviary or something. Then I caught him at it one day. He would bite their toes off. We managed to save some of their babies but there were quite a few losses too.

Well, day 10 the last two.... the humidity has been 55 ish and temp 99-100. I woke up yesterday and candled them and the infamous blood ring could be seen in one of them. I put it back and waited till last night to check since tomorrow lockdown starts. When I peeked in, the egg was cracked down the middle 😭 so I had to get gloves on and get it out of there. Carefully I removed it, changed the hay and sprayed down the incubator put in a water bowl with moss, sprayed the hay and misted the egg turned it one last time and made sure temp was back to 99-100. And lockdown has started for the last egg. I know the chances aren’t and weren’t high but it broke my heart to see the passing of this baby. I don’t know what I did wrong. I’m hoping the last baby hatched and lives. RIP sweet little baby. ❤️😭 6AF7D0B7-C30C-4D9E-844A-D592D95EBDE9.jpeg

Well, day 10 the last two.... the humidity has been 55 ish and temp 99-100. I woke up yesterday and candled them and the infamous blood ring could be seen in one of them. I put it back and waited till last night to check since tomorrow lockdown starts. When I peeked in, the egg was cracked down the middle 😭 so I had to get gloves on and get it out of there. Carefully I removed it, changed the hay and sprayed down the incubator put in a water bowl with moss, sprayed the hay and misted the egg turned it one last time and made sure temp was back to 99-100. And lockdown has started for the last egg. I know the chances aren’t and weren’t high but it broke my heart to see the passing of this baby. I don’t know what I did wrong. I’m hoping the last baby hatched and lives. RIP sweet little baby. ❤😭View attachment 2121675
:hugs At least you gave it a chance, but when an egg cracks it's the perfect way for bacteria to get in there and unfortunately kill the little chick. Fingers crossed for you other one though. :fl

I’m hoping ! I keep checking but I don’t really know if it’s doing well or not because I can’t turn it or anything. I canceled it soooooo slightly and quickly just to make sure that it was alive but it should be any day now if it does. Do they hatch out of the air sac?

Back
Top Bottom