PLEASE HELP! i am havin a bad time with jam

h4ppy-chris

Songster
8 Years
Oct 3, 2011
burnley, UK
first how do you clean a stainless steel pan that as jam burnt on the bottom badly
barnie.gif

i used this recipe:
JAM
Ingredients900g fruit (blackberries, plums, raspberries or strawberries), prepared weight
900g golden granulated sugar
knob of butter

1.Put the fruit into a preserving pan or large heavy-based saucepan. For blackberries, add 50ml of water and 1½ tbsp of lemon juice; for plums (halved and stoned), use 150ml of water; for strawberries, add 3 tbsp of lemon juice (no water); and for raspberries, add nothing. Bring to the boil.

2.Lower the heat. For blackberries, simmer for 15 minutes; for plums, simmer for 30-40 minutes; for raspberries, simmer for 2 minutes; for strawberries, simmer for 5 minutes. The fruit should be soft.
3.Tip in the sugar, stir over a very low heat until the sugar has completely dissolved. Raise the heat, bring to a full rolling boil, then rapidly boil blackberries for 10-12 minutes, plums for 10 minutes, raspberries for 5 minutes or strawberries for 20-25 minutes - don't stir though - until the setting point of 105C is reached.

4.Remove from the heat, skim off any excess scum, then stir a knob of butter across the surface (this helps to dissolve any remaining scum). Leave for about 15 mins so the fruit can settle. Pour into sterilised jars, label and seal.

i used raspberries and waited for it to get to 105C and did not stir it and it burnt
he.gif

please help
bow.gif

Last edited:
Sounds like your pot may have been too small/deep. If the column of liquid is tall, the bottom will tend to burn. For jams you should use a stock pot large enough that the stuff you're boiling inside only comes no more than 1/2 way up.

I'd fill the pot with hot water and a good dish detergent, like Dawn. Let it soak over night or even longer, drain, then scrub the burnt area with a soft scrubby and baking soda and water paste. It's going to take a lot of work and you will have to repeat several times.

If it is a good pot, I would not use a metal scrubber like an SOS pad. That would clean it faster but might scratch the metal and make it more prone to burning the next time.

You can sometimes get organic stuff off by soaking it an enzyme cleaner, but I've never put enzyme cleaner in a stainless steel pot, so I don't know what it would do to the finish of the pan. The easiest way to buy enzyme cleaner is to buy the stuff made to treat dog urine spots. You can buy it at janitorial supply houses, too.

You can add salt to the pan and let it soak overnight. Then scrub the heck out of it.

When you turn the heat down, you do have to stir it often to keep it from burning.

thanks everyone i boiled water in the pan with a dishwashers tablet in it, then scraped the black hard stuff of with a knife i got the pan back
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom