PLEASE HELP I DON"T KNOW WHAT TO DO

Is it possible you can get connected with a local chicken keeper who may be able to foster your four hens for a few months while you sort things out? There might even be someone here, near your area, you could reach out to about fostering them for a while.
I think that things will go somewhat smoothly as we've got things figured out, and I have a plan for how to set things up if we keep them. If something comes up I will definitely look into it, though!

We've got the run extension attached! It is only for when someone is outside with them at the moment, as it really is not predator proof. They really enjoy the extra space, however! Lesson learned: use gloves when dealing with chicken wire, lest you want your hands to bleed.
IMG-1232.jpg

IMG-1233.jpg

IMG-1234.jpg

The hole in the chicken wire is for reaching your hand through to open the door. I'm going to go make a flap to cover it right now.

Like the ones in these pictures:
https://neoutdoor.com/combination-chicken-coops/
(You would need the 6x12 foot one or larger. Assume it holds about 1/3 as many chickens as they say.)

Or like this "dog kennel":
https://www.thedogkennelcollection.com/dog-kennels/traditional-8x12-kennel-292/
(Add a roost and a few nestboxes, and maybe take the flap off the dog door, and it would be a very nice coop and run. With some added hardware cloth, that run would be secure enough that you could allow 24/7 access, and they might like to sleep on perches in the run during the hot summer.)

To my eyes, these look "different" than what you have right now. They do have an indoor space (sometimes a decently-sized one that you can walk into) and a covered "run" space that is definitely large enough to walk into. And they probably look nicer than what you have now, without being terribly large.

I do not know exactly where you are, so I do not know what companies sell such things in your area.
I've found this: https://shedsbylandserv.com/amish-built-animal-structures/chicken-coops/
I'm thinking that I'd go with one of the saltbox style ones, and build a run. I'll probably pitch it to my parents as 'If you're ready to spend this much money why not get much more for your money?"

I've found this: https://shedsbylandserv.com/amish-built-animal-structures/chicken-coops/
I'm thinking that I'd go with one of the saltbox style ones, and build a run. I'll probably pitch it to my parents as 'If you're ready to spend this much money why not get much more for your money?"

Be sure to check the size--you don't want something else that's too small! Plan for 4 square feet of floor space per chicken, for both the current chickens and the others you hope to eventually have. So for 8 chickens (future number), you would want at least 32 square feet. That's 4 x 8, or 6x6 works too, or 5 x7. But look for a coop that claims to be one foot bigger in one direction, because so many coops have the nestboxes sticking out. Nestboxes do not count as floor space for the chickens.

And you may want to consider options that already have a run. Because if your parents ARE willing to buy something that is right, it WILL be easier for you than building it yourself.

Big projects take lots of time to build (just look at all the threads about people's coop builds, where they go on for months before getting done.) First you're going to be away at camp, and then school will start again fairly soon after that. So there will be limits on how much time you are able to spend building things.

Also, building things can take a certain amount of strength and size. I remember my Dad having a bunch of his co-workers come help put up the walls of a building. It wasn't that big, but it took a surprising number of strong adults to stand each wall up and connect them together.

Building something well also requires a certain amount of skill, and you've said you have no experience building things yet. Even as an adult, the things I build are often a bit crooked and wobbly--so what you build just may not work right the first time.

Because you cannot drive to buy materials for yourself, your parents would have to be involved at least that much. So no matter how much you assure them that you will do it all yourself, they will know that you cannot really do ALL of it.

And there's the question of using power tools. They can be dangerous, and they are expensive to buy if you don't already have them, but cutting everything with a hand saw makes the project take a LOT longer!

I'm not trying to say you "should not" build something, just suggesting that you consider carefully before committing to it. Especially because it looks like your parents are more inclined to buy something than to have you build it.

Be sure to check the size--you don't want something else that's too small! Plan for 4 square feet of floor space per chicken, for both the current chickens and the others you hope to eventually have. So for 8 chickens (future number), you would want at least 32 square feet. That's 4 x 8, or 6x6 works too, or 5 x7. But look for a coop that claims to be one foot bigger in one direction, because so many coops have the nestboxes sticking out. Nestboxes do not count as floor space for the chickens.

And you may want to consider options that already have a run. Because if your parents ARE willing to buy something that is right, it WILL be easier for you than building it yourself.

Big projects take lots of time to build (just look at all the threads about people's coop builds, where they go on for months before getting done.) First you're going to be away at camp, and then school will start again fairly soon after that. So there will be limits on how much time you are able to spend building things.

Also, building things can take a certain amount of strength and size. I remember my Dad having a bunch of his co-workers come help put up the walls of a building. It wasn't that big, but it took a surprising number of strong adults to stand each wall up and connect them together.

Building something well also requires a certain amount of skill, and you've said you have no experience building things yet. Even as an adult, the things I build are often a bit crooked and wobbly--so what you build just may not work right the first time.

Because you cannot drive to buy materials for yourself, your parents would have to be involved at least that much. So no matter how much you assure them that you will do it all yourself, they will know that you cannot really do ALL of it.

And there's the question of using power tools. They can be dangerous, and they are expensive to buy if you don't already have them, but cutting everything with a hand saw makes the project take a LOT longer!

I'm not trying to say you "should not" build something, just suggesting that you consider carefully before committing to it. Especially because it looks like your parents are more inclined to buy something than to have you build it.
It doesn't list sizes-I was thinking that maybe you could customize the size? I'm really not sure. I was saying build a run because in the ones pictured, the runs are all short and you can't walk into them. Closer to the time of the permanent housing discussion, I'll try to look into it more. I'm also worried a bit about the building part-I'm not committed to the idea of building, I'm committed to the ideas of pleasing my parents and giving the chickens a good home, and it seemed like a good way to combine those would be building. I hope that the shed place would work out-that way I can ensure the quality of the build, and I don't have to build it. I will build it if that is the only way that I can give my chickens a good home, however.

I imagine you've already explored this option, but buying and modifying an actual shed is another option. It would still require some tool-use and building, but would be less daunting than constructing something from scratch. Perhaps, if your parents are concerned about you growing up and moving away or losing interest, they would like knowing that they could possibly convert the coop back into a shed.

We've got the run extension attached! It is only for when someone is outside with them at the moment, as it really is not predator proof. They really enjoy the extra space, however! Lesson learned: use gloves when dealing with chicken wire, lest you want your hands to bleed.
View attachment 2241659
View attachment 2241660
View attachment 2241661
The hole in the chicken wire is for reaching your hand through to open the door. I'm going to go make a flap to cover it right now.
So they have a little suite there! Pretty nice!

I imagine you've already explored this option, but buying and modifying an actual shed is another option. It would still require some tool-use and building, but would be less daunting than constructing something from scratch. Perhaps, if your parents are concerned about you growing up and moving away or losing interest, they would like knowing that they could possibly convert the coop back into a shed.
I have thought about this! It seems like a really good idea, but I have some stuff that feels like it wouldn't work. My main concerns with getting an actual shed are:
-It would be quite a small shed. Because I wouldn't have that many chickens, it would only be around 5x6.
-One of the things that my parents REALLY want to see in a chicken coop is an extended nesting box, so that you can collect the eggs from outside. I'd prefer to have something like that, but I don't mind not having it. I'm worried that if we did this to a shed, it would ruin the shed aspect of it.
-I would need to cut a door for the chickens to have between the coop and run. For the same point as above, this might ruin the shed part.
-I'd like to have run space under the coop, to save yard space and appease my parents. I'm concerned that a shed would be a bit heavy to have on a platform, or I wouldn't be able to construct a structurally sound platform that could hold it.
If I can figure out ways to get past those issues, I think that getting a shed could be a great idea, for the points that you mentioned!

Back
Top Bottom