PLEASE HELP I DON"T KNOW WHAT TO DO

Pics

black_cat

♥♥Lover of Leghorns♥♥
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
I find myself in a VERY bad situation here. We decided to start with adult hens and a coop from a local farm. I didn't want to undermine the farm people, so I let them set it up. Mistake. They put nothing on the floor of the run, which was covered in hardware cloth. Worried that they would hurt their feet/beaks trying to get to what was under it, I tried to put some bedding in. Mulchy stuff. One of the hens escaped. It was TERRIFIED. They're all terrified and scruffy looking, missing feathers and such. I only managed to catch the hen because my friend who had owned chickens before was there to help. The farm people put everything in in the worst way possible, so we can't see if the feeder or water is running low. the only way to get eggs is through the main door of the coop. The hens are terrified of everyone and if one escaped I don't know what I'd do, I'd feel terrible. Nobody else in the household has ever held a chicken before and the ones that I've handled are treat trained (will come running for treats and are so motivated by them) and not actually afraid, just grumpy about being picked up. What should I do? There is no way to seal off the coop or run for cleaning and put them in the other, and there is no outdoor egg collection hatch. I feel like a complete failure and need advice. I have 3 RIRs and 1 leghorn.

Take a breath. Any time they are moved, chickens are going to be a little freaked out, so for a few days they are going to seem terrified of everything. If you can post some pictures of the way it's set up it's going to be easier for us to give you some advice - which you should understand is just a collection of opinions based on our own individual experience, so what works for one person may not work the same for another person. Read as much as you can and make the decisions that seem best suited to your situation, and give yourself the opportunity to change your mind, as often as necessary, until you've got things set up in a way that makes sense for you and your birds. Welcome to chicken world and BYC! :)

It will be okay! I think the first thing to work on is to treat train the chickens, which will help them be less scared around humans and also minimize the amount of chasing you'll need to do. Mealworms are a big favorite.

Folks on the forums can help you with your coop setup, hopefully you can make some simple modifications to the existing coop.

Best of luck! Things will get easier as the chickens adjust to their new home.

If for some reason they didn't go in, try to enlist another person, go into the run, close the gate behind you, and then slowly and calmly try to gather each up and put inside for the night. Chickens are "night blind" - they can not see very well in the dark, so it's easier to capture them. I'm not going to say they will be calm, because they probably won't, but if you remain calm and just speak softly to them, it will help.

Oh you're on the east coast, so yes, it's after 9 there, and dark - did the ladies go into their coop for the night? If so, assuming there is a door they use to go in and out, go out and close it up so they are nice and secure, and use this opportunity or the one in the morning before you open that door back up to move food and water to a place that makes more sense to you.

I get it,I really do! I fought my hardest to get a dog but sadly never got one until I was an adult on my own. Now that I’m way older I do get where my parents were coming from, chickens/pets take a lot of work.

Same here, though I still don't agree with my parents on the whole dog issue (I'd been campaigning to get a dog since around 12 or so, and after I moved out at 18, they then got a dog - and kept asking me to come back to take care of it, like seriously?)

I had also kind of wanted chickens since I was a kid but we at least had housebirds so that filled my bird quota. The chicken thing never quite went away so I finally started looking into it, but still took about 10 more years after that before it happened.

Yes, I understand the perspective change. (I'm actually VERY stressed/nervous about being an adult) (being an adult is scary) (very scary) (I'm frequently worried about this) (I may or may not have the rest of my life planned out)

Things will change, so don't worry about not having a "plan." I can't say I had any real plans either, at least not realistic ones, back then. Actually (don't laugh) my original plan was to go to college in Alaska (because I could get a full scholarship), become a journalist, meet a lumberjack, get married at 21 and live in the wilderness lol. Nothing close to that ever happened.

Without photos of the coop and run it's difficult to give advice there. I have however, dealt with many older flighty hens and managed to gain their trust. It's as simple as "doing nothing."

Bring a milk crate and a book and plonk yourself down in the run with them. Ignore them for half an hour in their environment. Do this everyday for a week or two (Or three). Pretend they're not there. No interaction. Get up and leave.

The only other interaction you should have with them is food based -- treats and topping up their feed. Take their food away once they go to bed so they need to wait for you to give it to them in the morning.

They're unlikely to ever let you handle them, but they'll be happy to be in your company in no time.

Channels?
Yes... a chunnel... chicken tunnels! They are made out of ...chicken wire...hardware cloth... welded wire.... whatever! I made about 50 ft of them from a roll of welded wire from lowes!
I wouldnt use them unless someone can supervise.... they are not predator proof... but, they cant fly away and they go where you want them.
Heres mine....

Attachments

• 20200615_192427_001.jpg
    20200615_192427_001.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 40
  • 20200615_192635.jpg
    20200615_192635.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
  • 20200615_192451.jpg
    20200615_192451.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 34

Back