PLEASE HELP I DON"T KNOW WHAT TO DO

Take a deep breath and don’t freak out, it’s okay, everyone makes mistakes. Fingers everything out in the morning when you have a clear mind. It helps a lot. But for now write now things that u want to be changed ab the coop and then get some rest. Everything is easier in the morning than at night. Good luck and I hope everything goes well 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Congratulations on your new coop and chickens. I'm sorry it's not everything that you wanted. Maybe your family will be on board soon and you can build your dream coop. Then, you can use this one as an extra coop. I just moved my brooder out to the main coop yesterday evening---a secondary coop sure would come in handy for brooding chicks and integrating them into the flock.

Perhaps you could put your whole coop inside a chain link dog run? Put some netting over the top and you can let them out in the run for extra space without worrying about them flying out. Sometimes you can find used dog kennels or panels pretty cheap on craigslist and similar places.

I'm much less panicked now. I think that my plan for moving things is this:
Wait until they're all in the run. While blocking the doorway with my body, reach in and get something out. Close door. Do the same thing with the other door to the run. Repeat as needed, which might be a lot. I think that this evening I'll try to get the grit and shell in, as i need to hang them up. I'll get inside the run with someone outside to open and close the door.

Congratulations on your new coop and chickens. I'm sorry it's not everything that you wanted. Maybe your family will be on board soon and you can build your dream coop. Then, you can use this one as an extra coop. I just moved my brooder out to the main coop yesterday evening---a secondary coop sure would come in handy for brooding chicks and integrating them into the flock.

Perhaps you could put your whole coop inside a chain link dog run? Put some netting over the top and you can let them out in the run for extra space without worrying about them flying out. Sometimes you can find used dog kennels or panels pretty cheap on craigslist and similar places.
I hadn't thought of that! I will look on craigslist and facebook and such for those.

I hadn't thought of that! I will look on craigslist and facebook and such for those.

I have a 6 ft chain link fence built around my coop with netting over the top, and I'm really happy with it. It's not 100% predator proof, particularly at night, but the flock is safe in the coop at night, and the netting provides protection from hawks during the day.

Without photos of the coop and run it's difficult to give advice there. I have however, dealt with many older flighty hens and managed to gain their trust. It's as simple as "doing nothing."

Bring a milk crate and a book and plonk yourself down in the run with them. Ignore them for half an hour in their environment. Do this everyday for a week or two (Or three). Pretend they're not there. No interaction. Get up and leave.

The only other interaction you should have with them is food based -- treats and topping up their feed. Take their food away once they go to bed so they need to wait for you to give it to them in the morning.

They're unlikely to ever let you handle them, but they'll be happy to be in your company in no time.

Youve got this! If you stay calm... that will help. Spend time with them after you have things moved... just so they get used to you. Bring treats so they associate you with good things :thumbsup Chicken are a creature of habit, and they really dont like new situations... they will calm down, as long as you are calm. Very soon, they will be glad to see you coming, and come running to the fence to greet you. Just be with them..... talk to them..... they will come around.:)

Back
Top Bottom