Please help!!! I found a chick and it's getting weak

Bonbonlizzard

Hatching
Jun 19, 2017
Hi friends.
I found a baby chick. It's so small. It has a head injury and is getting weaker.
I think it's a couple of days old only. It still has the egg breaking bit on its beak.
I need to know basic skills asap.
Eg. Is it supposed to be eating and drinking yet
Should I keep it on me or by itself in a box. It prefers to be handled.
Are they meant to be energetic?
I'm so scared it will due and am willing to do whatever it takes to help it.
Thankyou all so much
Bon
Ps I'm in thailand, so is it too warm to have it again my body?

Cheeps eat and drink anywhere from one-to-two days old. They're supposed to be energetic, and you can do whatever you need to do to get and keep that chick at your body temperature. He should feel warm to the touch. He'll let you know by cheeping if he's too cold. His head will drop and he'll snooze if he's warm enough.

I've handled chicks--I'm assuming you have a chicken here. If you have a wild bird, don't handle it, it's used to none of your diseases and has no immunity--without harming them--unless there are a lot of chickens crowded together, they usually won't get diseases from you. If he wants you as his momma, keep him happy--stress hurts them, especially when they're injured. Just wash your hands or belly or however you're keeping him warm.

Keep him hydrated, and think about getting a heat lamp. Putting him in a container under a normal house lamp will work too--just make sure that the sides of the box are high and that he's close enough to the bulb to be content. If he starts trying to get away from the bulb, lower it.

If it is a wild bird :
get it to a rehab place right away. unless wild chicks are raised by rehab are they almost always die. Call you local Department of Fish and Game and they can tell you who your local rehabber is.

I didn't see you are in Thailand ,sorry. the chick should be kept probably around 90 95 degrees . you can give it some sugar water .if it will eat ,
hard boil an egg and break up the yolk. put the hard-boiled yolk on a little saucer and see if you can get it to eat some of the hard-boiled yolk of the egg. it's extremely good nutrition for baby chicks . it needs sugar water because it's probably dehydrated.
Best Regards,
Karen

"HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE RECIPE FOR CHICKS
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 2 teaspoons molasses OR 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking soda"
Electrolytes work very well for baby goats. This recipe is specific to chicks. Substitute it for water. Don't use molasses, it's a diuretic, and I have no idea what the person was thinking when they added it. Corn syrup works well, and helps soothe the throat.

Ok thankyou all so much.
She has a open sore under her eye. I've been bathing it with salt to keep it clean ( I haven't got any in her eye).
It's a baby chicken.
It doesn't have feathers yet.
I try to feed her but she pecks but nothing goes in.
I made her really soggy rice, scrambled egg and oats.
I will make the electrolyte water now.
I'm just worried about leaving her by herself but maybe she prefers that than to be carried gently everywhere?
I'm so confused.

Back
Top Bottom