Please Help I think my chicks are gonna die!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicken0Boy, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Ok, so I think most of my chicks have an impacted crop! How do I know if they do? Do any of who have pics of a chick with and impacted crop and one without? Please help! I am so scared!

2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Songster

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    If you're really scared, you can take away their feed for a few hours. Likely, they just finished a big meal. A crop will normally fill and empty as the chicks eat. If they're still running around and looking alert and healthy, they will probably be fine.

3. ok I am gonna take their feed away. I am so scared They ran out of food sometime during the night, and I fed them when I woke up, so that might be it. I sure hope so. Thanks for helping me!

4. TXmom

TXmom Songster

I think it's highly unlikely that most of your chicks have impacted crops. I don't think it's a very common problem, unless they've been eating long strands of hay that get wound up inside their crops, or something like that. Like Spring said, they probably just ate a lot and have full crops. Where are they? In a brooder or outside on grass? Are you giving them grit to digest their food (if fed anything other than chick starter)?

5. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    unless they got into something they shopuld not have ie: straw, string, plastics, then they are not inpacted just full. if it is the size of a golf ball or gumb ball dont worry they do fill up fast. remove food for a little while and it should go down. if eating only starter feed I would say almost impossible to get impacted crop. but it could happen if they eat a lot of shavings. usually they are not that dumb. Good Luck [​IMG]

6. Thanks so much! I now think they are just full. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by