Please help I think my hen is going to die! Sour crop perhaps?

LoveMyHens2016

Hatching
Jul 21, 2016
I have a 3 year old RIR hen who has always been super healthy! About a week ago she began acting sluggish, had green diarreah, she started moving her neck all weirdly, and her comb began turning blue-ish. About three days ago I gave her some antibiotics in her water. After reading more about sour crop, I figured that MUST be the case, and I vomited her, (I was very careful to make sure that she didn't aspirate!) and lots of grass/green slime came out. We quit on the antibiotics, and started on ACV and probiotics. We syringe fed her ACV water, and then she began drinking on her own! We felt so hopeful! The next day, it looked as though we hadn't cleared her crop completely, so we vomited her again and more grass came out!
barnie.gif
We love our hen so much, so we figured (after much research) that oil could help her clear the grass. She'd been looking a bit better, but the next day, (today) she vomited even MORE grass mostly on her own and some yellow-y mucus, (after we'd given her some plain Greek yogurt and probiotics.) In addition, I've given her about a teaspoon total of anti-yeast cream that I've read on a BYC forum works miracles. I really don't want to go to the vet unless that is the only option, and I REALLY don't want her to die! I'm worried that I haven't gotten all of the grass out, but she's lost so much weight I'm also worried that she's not getting any food and water! The only reason I haven't gone to the vet is the fact that she walks around and looks a bit more alert then before. Am I doing anything wrong? Should I quit vomiting her? I've been giving her crop massages to try to work the blockage out, but is that inflicting any damage? Any advice is good advice, as I don't want her to die!
Thank you!

Are there ANY other remedies? I checked on her today and she's still eating and drinking! In no way do I believe that she's healed, I just want her to get the grass up (or whatever is causing the blockage) without spending so much, and I think she's got enough strength to at least TRY some alternate solutions! Honestly, are there no other ways to get the blockage to deteriorate or be vomited/pooped out? Because she's eating and drinking, should I give her a night to try to resolve the issue?

Check her crop first think in the morning. If there is a big lump in there she really does need a vet. If you feel a small lump or big squishy crop then separate her and provide plain water and moistened chicken food only. No scratch or greens. Massage her crop in a downward motion. I don't vomit because I'm too afraid they will aspirate but if her crop is big and squishy and you are comfortable doing it then it would help. Mix 1/2 tsp epsom salts with 1/4 cup water. Syringe this into her beak slowly but get as much in as you can. She will be very thirsty afterwards and it acts as a mild laxative. I think it depends on what parts of her digestive system are slowed down. You may need to give that to her again in several hours. She needs to be in a dog crate or confined so you can monitor her poop. I usually see undigested grass or seeds coming out after the first dose.
I do agree with above poster that it sounds like she needs a vet by if you simply can't then this is something to try. Keep her separated and contained until her crop is completely emptying. Then provide some scrambled eggs to give her some extra boost for recovery. Good luck.

Thank you so much! I'm going to check her tomorrow like you said, and today she tried some scrambled eggs without much coaxing! I really appreciate the advice! If her condition doesn't improve, then I'm calling a local vet (that treats chickens) tomorrow. I will try to keep you guys updated, and once again, thanks for the advice and support!
smile.png

Thank you so much! I'm going to check her tomorrow like you said, and today she tried some scrambled eggs without much coaxing! I really appreciate the advice! If her condition doesn't improve, then I'm calling a local vet (that treats chickens) tomorrow. I will try to keep you guys updated, and once again, thanks for the advice and support! :)

Anytime
263a.png
fingers crossed for you both

Thank you so much! I'm going to check her tomorrow like you said, and today she tried some scrambled eggs without much coaxing! I really appreciate the advice! If her condition doesn't improve, then I'm calling a local vet (that treats chickens) tomorrow. I will try to keep you guys updated, and once again, thanks for the advice and support! :)

How is your hen doing?

Thanks for the concern! I'm happy to report that she's eating and drinking a LOT more on her own, but I'm still monitoring her.
big_smile.png
I've also given her some worms, yogurt, and LOTS of probiotics! I'm hoping time will help, and that she's on the path to recovery. I've tried vomiting her every morning without success, so I believe that she's emptying her crop a bit better. But what upset me greatly was when she bent down to eat a worm this morning, and she began vomiting! Luckily, there was only a bit of the foul, green liquid that she used to vomit tons of! I honestly do think she's doing better, but I'm babying her until she gains more weight and strength. In addition, she's been having more solid (but still disgustingly smelling) poop. I'm going to give her some of the saltwater that you recommended tomorrow morning.

I think my Buff Orpington may be suffering similarly. Can you all please advise? I have three chickens and am new to chicken ownership... So learning a lot. I can't tell if she/ he is a roo or hen either at this point. Thought a roo for sure but now, I'm not so sure. The chickens to free range a bit during the day with access to grass. She's been healthy, happy and eating, pooping well until this morning and all I've seen pass is watery matter. Tonight her condition has deteriorated and I am concerned she may die. She's in her coop, perching but beak open, eyes pale and feathers all dropping down. I'm heartsick over this bird. Please advised on anything I can do to save her.

Back
Top Bottom