PLEASE HELP I think this is wry neck?

Murano farms suggests this -
1683805913955.png

"pierce capsule, squeeze a few drops into mouth 3 times a day. Lightly massage the muscles of neck focusing more on the side that seemed cramped, not the stretched side. "

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this and had a hard time getting replies! We're usually much better than that. How is the chick doing tonight? Have you been dosing the Vitamin E and selenium? You can also feed the chick a bit of tuna, or cooked egg for selenium.
Use an eye-dropper or medicine dropper to dose the Nutri-Drench. Place a drop on the tip or side of the beak, and it will go in. A couple of drops a few times a day until it's recovered.

I had a hard time squeezing vitamin e capsules into my chickie's mouth, so I squeezed a capsule full of 400 miu E over a teensy amount of scrambled egg for the first two weeks or so.

Since then I've switched to the goat supplement gel, but I've since learned that the selenium to E ratio is not quite right for chicks, so it's not actually ideal.

I still have two birds that just twitch a bit, not pulling super strong to one side at all, so I'm hoping I can prevent from getting worse and help them turn a corner. Keep doing whatever you can though, because I think it's probably a lot harder to treat the older they get, and the further it progresses.

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this and had a hard time getting replies! We're usually much better than that. How is the chick doing tonight? Have you been dosing the Vitamin E and selenium? You can also feed the chick a bit of tuna, or cooked egg for selenium.
Use an eye-dropper or medicine dropper to dose the Nutri-Drench. Place a drop on the tip or side of the beak, and it will go in. A couple of drops a few times a day until it's recovered.
I cannot find a store nearby that offers supplements containing selenium for chickens. I found a "selenium and vitamin E gel for goats" and we bought that but found another thread where people are advising not to use that, I've been afraid of dosing too much selenium.

After the two responses I got, I wasn't feeling very hopeful so my husband took over. He's been syringe feeding her a lot of freshly juiced herbs that's seemed to help, along with the electrolyte and vitamin water. We need to make a fresh batch of nutridrench, it's just that it's hard to figure out ratios to dilute it properly when you're making such a small amount daily. We've wasted so much of it and our house reeks of it. Any tips on scaling down the ratios?

My husband named her "Stargazer", and she attempted to take a few steps tonight after my husband gave her some of the juice I'd just made with fresh beets, apples, oranges, carrots, and spinach. Apparently those are all good for her so we tried it and he says she perked up a lot.

She's still not able to stand or rest comfortably. She just stays on her side, trembling. We are keeping her in an incubator turned down.

I haven't been able to get my hands on vitamin E oil yet.

I had a hard time squeezing vitamin e capsules into my chickie's mouth, so I squeezed a capsule full of 400 miu E over a teensy amount of scrambled egg for the first two weeks or so.

Since then I've switched to the goat supplement gel, but I've since learned that the selenium to E ratio is not quite right for chicks, so it's not actually ideal.

I still have two birds that just twitch a bit, not pulling super strong to one side at all, so I'm hoping I can prevent from getting worse and help them turn a corner. Keep doing whatever you can though, because I think it's probably a lot harder to treat the older they get, and the further it progresses.
How much of the goat supplement gel do you give? We have that but have been afraid to use it after the warnings.

I cannot find a store nearby that offers supplements containing selenium for chickens. I found a "selenium and vitamin E gel for goats" and we bought that but found another thread where people are advising not to use that, I've been afraid of dosing too much selenium.

After the two responses I got, I wasn't feeling very hopeful so my husband took over. He's been syringe feeding her a lot of freshly juiced herbs that's seemed to help, along with the electrolyte and vitamin water. We need to make a fresh batch of nutridrench, it's just that it's hard to figure out ratios to dilute it properly when you're making such a small amount daily. We've wasted so much of it and our house reeks of it. Any tips on scaling down the ratios?

My husband named her "Stargazer", and she attempted to take a few steps tonight after my husband gave her some of the juice I'd just made with fresh beets, apples, oranges, carrots, and spinach. Apparently those are all good for her so we tried it and he says she perked up a lot.

She's still not able to stand or rest comfortably. She just stays on her side, trembling. We are keeping her in an incubator turned down.

I haven't been able to get my hands on vitamin E oil yet.
Remember the supplements you are looking for are just in the drugstore or grocery store marketed for humans. You do not need to find special chicken selenium or poultry vitamin E.

Scrambled egg or cooked egg yolk contains selenium in the correct amounts. I wouldn't worry about looking for that separately, but the vitamin E, yes.

How much of the goat supplement gel do you give? We have that but have been afraid to use it after the warnings.
Please don't take my advice, but I just offer small pea size amount a couple times a day, and see how much the chick eats out of my palm. I'm sure she's not getting overdosed on selenium that way, but I'm sure she's not getting a full dose of Vitamin E that way, either.

Your chick sounds like her condition is much worse than mine. I would try to run out and get her the straight vitamin E caps or liquid today. Idk if you mentioned, I also have vitamin B liquid, because the nutridrench does not have as much of that in it, but you may find the little tablets easier.

Last night we started offering her egg yolk on a toothpick, and she started pecking it. She hasn't been able to peck at all previously, and that's continued into today. She also is making more attempts to stand, and her cheeps are louder.

I got the vit E gel capsules, and decided to mix the contents of a vit E capsule with a bit of the selenium and vit E gel for goats. gave her some on a toothpick, which she pecks (not always with accuracy) and licks off.

she typically wants to sleep in our hands because she's so uncomfortable on her side when we're not holding her. So far every attempt to prop her up in a bowl or cup with paper towels has been a fail because of how much her legs spasm.

Last night we started offering her egg yolk on a toothpick, and she started pecking it. She hasn't been able to peck at all previously, and that's continued into today. She also is making more attempts to stand, and her cheeps are louder.

I got the vit E gel capsules, and decided to mix the contents of a vit E capsule with a bit of the selenium and vit E gel for goats. gave her some on a toothpick, which she pecks (not always with accuracy) and licks off.

she typically wants to sleep in our hands because she's so uncomfortable on her side when we're not holding her. So far every attempt to prop her up in a bowl or cup with paper towels has been a fail because of how much her legs spasm.
Can you scramble up an egg and take like, half a teaspoon out, and squeeze the vitamin E capsule out over it? Mash it up super smooth and see if she may peck at that a little?

Last edited:
So far every attempt to prop her up in a bowl or cup with paper towels has been a fail because of how much her legs spasm.
You could try the coffee (or tea) cup method. It has worked for me.

Make a sling to fit across the opening of the cup, with slits cut in it for the chick's legs. I used a wide strip of that stretchy first aid wrap that sticks to itself, and then taped it to the outside of the cup to hold it - but you could use a scrap of fabric and a rubber band just as well. Position it so that the chick will be facing the handle of the cup, and leave a gap at the rear so the chick can poop into the cup.

Put a folded or wadded paper towel in the bottom of the cup so the chick's feet have something to stand on and build strength (and to absorb poop).

Put the chick into the sling, and hold it there while you apply another WIDE strip of the first aid wrap across its back, attach it to the cup, and make it snug so the chick can't wiggle out. You could use any other material I suppose, but I like the sticky wrap because it holds the chick better and doesn't harm the down. (Next time I have to do it, I'll cut a hole for the chick's head, too, to help hold it in place.)

Make a tiny feed cup and water cup using soda bottle lids or what-have-you. I used some old plastic measuring spoons with the handles cut off. Tape those together (duct tape is great), and then tape them to the handle of the cup so they're within the chick's reach. Fill with food and water.

Place the cup into the brooder or incubator - depending on what kind of heat source you have, you might have to improvise. I used a heat lamp, so it was easy to set the cup at about the same position as all the other chicks were hanging out; not under the lamp, but not in the cold either. Whatever zone the other chicks are relaxing, is the same place you want to put the chick and cup. I had to place the cup and chick inside a bigger container so that the other chicks wouldn't mess with him, but they could still hear each other. And then watch closely so he doesn't get overheated or cold.

The chick will struggle to get out, kicking and stretching his legs. GOOD. He's getting physical therapy. YOU can also provide physical therapy by holding the chick over a non-slick surface, legs between your fingers, and make him use his legs in the correct position to build strength. 15-20 minutes per session, several times a day.

I hope this helps.

(Disclaimer: I've never successfully done the PT myself, but have read this is how it's done. I also have only tried to rehabilitate ONE chick using the cup method, and it was successful.)

Back
Top Bottom