1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please Help! I want my splash orph that has pipped to live!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tsagirl, May 14, 2008.

1. Tsagirl

Tsagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    Ok this is going to be my last hatch...and I have been really upset about the last 3 hatches I have had.
    I went into this with great hatches and hatch rates.

Now they are plumiting so bad and I am lucky to get even one to hatch! [​IMG]

The problem is now that when the chick pips and zips a little...the feathers get stuck to the egg!!

My humitity has been 65-70%
    and 100 degrees with a forced air. [​IMG]

God I have one more hatch left and what am I doing wrong???????? [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

This last hatch I had 2 sticky chicks and one that when I opened it up it had so much water and could not move its feet and was green!!!

ohhhh I am so freaking sad, I don't think I am going to be hatching anymore, I can not do it! I have killed more babies then hatched.

Why such bad luck all of a sudden?

ok, thank you all for listening!!

truly yours,
    Theresa

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  2. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    If your instruments are reading the correct temp and humidity and you are getting bad hatches, it usually means they are not working properly. You might try testing them against a mercury thermometer and try calibrating the hygrometer.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I agree with Jaynie...

4. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Get a water weasel and check that your temps are accurate in the egg.

I was way off and didnt realize it until I got a weasel, my atill air temps needed to be at 103 to get my egg temp to 100.

5. Tsagirl

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    Oh gosh i never was thinking about that!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yes gonna do that now!
    THANKK YOU ALL!!!!!!

Theresa

6. Chamelle

Chamelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Springfield, OR
    Tsa, I'm so sorry about your hatches!

I was going to make a new incubator, and bought another hygrometer. I was shocked when I put the new one in my bator to see how much it differed from the one I'm using now. I did a salt test on both of them. The new one was dead on with 75% humidity and the one I've been using for the last 20 days was only 63%. [​IMG] I'm not sure what this means for my hatch, but it's definitely a good indicator of how far off these instruments can be.

The new one that was accurate I got at the eco store (can't remember the name) right across from Down to Earth, in Eugene. It was around $13, if I remember correctly.

Cham

7. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I agree to check your instruments. I have two new accurites and he differ in humidity by 4%! The temps are also a tiny bit different, but 4% could make a huge difference either way.

8. Tsagirl

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    yea I really need to figure it out. I am wondering what is the best for humidity?
    anyone have one that is just supurb?

I already have 2 accurites and one springfield(which is not in use anymore)

9. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Quote:I use a dial one form petco. It was 10$ for the hygrometer/thermometer combo and has worked way better than any of my digital's. What kind of incubator do you have? How much ventilation do you keep it open at?

10. Tsagirl

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    Christina,
    I have a Hova bator 1602N that has been my pride and joy that I have been hatching with until recently..

When I start it the 2 vents are closed on the top then during the end I open one and then when its day 18-21 both vents are open.

I will go and get another hydromiter and a water wiggler for a hatch with your eggs! I am gonna have a good last hatch this time!!!! GRRRR!!! [​IMG]

Day 5 now with your eggs and frizzle eggs!

ok keep up the information everyone, I LOVE IT!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by