1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help identify breed and sex

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dingaling, May 18, 2009.

1. dingaling

dingaling Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2009
    Hello to everyone,

I need help please. I bought these chicks at a feed store. I'm not sure how old they are. They had wing and tail feathers when we bought them about 6 weeks ago. They might just be mutts but will someone please try?

This first one I'm pretty sure is a hen but I don't know what breed.
    [​IMG]

This second one I think is a little roo, but again am unsure of the breed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This ones comb says roo but not his feathers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Same with this one, unless I'm just not looking at their feathers right.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any help would be great. Thanks [​IMG]

2. vtsarahb

vtsarahb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    The first one might be a golden comet, the second looks like a buff orpington. I don't know about the white ones, but I'm guessing maybe leghorn? I think you are right about which ones are hens vs. which ones are roos.

3. lux_interior

lux_interior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Joliet
    first ones definitely a red sex link, and looks like a hen too, the other ones you think are roos most likely are too, and I agree, leghorns are the most common all white chickens you find at feed stores... that's what the last all white one looks like. The white roo with the small brown spots on the feathers though, could possibly be a red sex link also... those are also commonly found at feed stores, and while the hens grow up red, the roos are white with a bit of brown or tan on the back and neck

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2009
  4. dingaling

dingaling Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2009
    [​IMG] What a bummer. I have 3 more that I didn't post pics of. One that looks similiar to the BO roo and 2 more that look like the solid white one. If all 6 are roos, that means I only got 1 hen out of 7 chickens.[​IMG] Now how do I decide which ones to get rid of? The kids are going to be mad because I can only keep 2 roos. With 4 kids, at least 2 of them are going to have to give up their roos.[​IMG]

5. jywel417

jywel417 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    Atlanta
    1 looks like a red sex link, and 2 looks like a buff orpington (color of feathers and the white legs vs yellow legs)

The others I am not sure on either [​IMG]

And good luck with the kids [​IMG] maybe you can bribe them with new babies [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by