Please help identify breed and sex

dingaling

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 17, 2009
Hello to everyone,

I need help please. I bought these chicks at a feed store. I'm not sure how old they are. They had wing and tail feathers when we bought them about 6 weeks ago. They might just be mutts but will someone please try?

This first one I'm pretty sure is a hen but I don't know what breed.
31673_farmer_family_046.jpg

This second one I think is a little roo, but again am unsure of the breed.
31673_farmer_family_058.jpg

31673_farmer_family_056.jpg

This ones comb says roo but not his feathers.
31673_farmer_family_055.jpg

31673_farmer_family_043.jpg

Same with this one, unless I'm just not looking at their feathers right.
31673_farmer_family_047.jpg

31673_farmer_family_059.jpg

Any help would be great. Thanks
big_smile.png

The first one might be a golden comet, the second looks like a buff orpington. I don't know about the white ones, but I'm guessing maybe leghorn? I think you are right about which ones are hens vs. which ones are roos.

first ones definitely a red sex link, and looks like a hen too, the other ones you think are roos most likely are too, and I agree, leghorns are the most common all white chickens you find at feed stores... that's what the last all white one looks like. The white roo with the small brown spots on the feathers though, could possibly be a red sex link also... those are also commonly found at feed stores, and while the hens grow up red, the roos are white with a bit of brown or tan on the back and neck

Last edited by a moderator:
hit.gif
What a bummer. I have 3 more that I didn't post pics of. One that looks similiar to the BO roo and 2 more that look like the solid white one. If all 6 are roos, that means I only got 1 hen out of 7 chickens.
hit.gif
Now how do I decide which ones to get rid of? The kids are going to be mad because I can only keep 2 roos. With 4 kids, at least 2 of them are going to have to give up their roos.
sickbyc.gif

1 looks like a red sex link, and 2 looks like a buff orpington (color of feathers and the white legs vs yellow legs)

The others I am not sure on either
hmm.png

And good luck with the kids
hmm.png
maybe you can bribe them with new babies
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom