Please help identifying this breed

felipe

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 18, 2012
Hi, I got from a farm 8 chicken eggs all of different colors and sizes. After incubating, only two were fertile. One large, light brown egg. One small blue egg. The blue egg did not complete the incubation period. I ended up with this one brown chick and I don't know which breed it is.

Its only been 36 hours since birth and it's already eating plenty. I couldn't resist holding (him/her) after moving it to the box and I pick it up a couple of times a day. I guess it has become very attached to me. If I leave its side it chirps non-stop. If it sees me it tries to jump out of the box. The only time it quiets down is when I pick it up and keep it warm within my hands. I know its not the temperature since I have a thermometer inside keeping the box at 94-98 degrees. In fact, when tired it lays to sleep peacefully. There is enough food and water.

However, it does not want to stay in the box if it feels me around.

I am trying to get to know a bit more of its breed to make sure I am not overlooking anything important.
Here are some more pictures. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Based on the puffy cheeks and slate legs, I would say it has some Easter Egger in it. She is getting upset when you leave because they do not like to be alone, they are flock animals. If you can, go to your local feed store and buy her a couple of couple of friends.

If you got eggs of different sizes and colors, I'm going out on a limb and saying barnyard mix. And yeah, get it some friends.

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought so (about it being lonely). When you say "a couple" of friends. Do you mean one or more than one?

Personally I like 3 as a minimum.

Exactly. If one gets sick or is stolen by a predator, then there is still two left to be friends. To the OP, additionally, your chick will grow better and be less stressed throughout her life if she had two flock mates. It's just better for her overall health.

Well,

Thank you all for taking the time to educate me.
Living in NY is not easy finding chicks. Most poultry places sell dead chickens. The farms where I got the eggs from order live chicks online. I ended up driving over an hour to find someone with young chicks.

At first mine (Rosa) started pecking the other two's feet (Princess and Linda). (My daughter named them). Then she just seemed eager to make new acquaintances. I haven't heard a peep out of them ever since. Amazing. Now it ignores me completely. After bringing them home I did notice that one seemed to want to lay down all the time. After holding it in my hand for a while it seemed it only wanted to sleep. I am afraid it may not be on its best health. I could not see it while at the farm with so many chicks running for their dear lives. For now it's segregated until it shows full recovery. I did hand feed it and it ate and drank a lot. It seems to be doing better now. Hopefully it'll be able to join the others in another 24 hours. I need a bigger box.

I also notice that they like to climb up onto things to sleep. Anyone have any ideas? That rag is got some burns after putting it into the microwave to heat it up for transport. Now I wrap hand warmers with it.
I also noticed that things like yogurt are best smeared onto the walls that placed on floor plates where they can step on it. They seem to love pecking at anything that may be attached to the walls. They prefer to peck at the thin layers than at the glob in front of them. (I have spent some time staring).

Thanks again for all your help.

I'll close this posting with an update on Linda's health.

i would feed nothing but chick starter, some might use other things like yogert. if you can find some save a chick that would be the best thing to put into the water for the electrolights once adding that my shipped chicks always perk back up. the stress from the ride could be whats doing it and i find its best to leave them be for a few days to 2 weeks before handling them, again mine always seem to do better that way.

I haven't been able to find chick starter. Went to pet shops and all they carry is exotic and small bird food. I ended up buying the kind of food they start parrots with. I have added coarsely grounded corn and bulgur wheat. Soaking it into water to make it easier I guess. Plus the yogurt. I don't know what you mean by putting something in the water for the electrolytes. Is this water additive?

Back
Top Bottom