Please Help! Impaced Crop!?!

modchicken

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 19, 2012
Ok so my bsl hen I'm pretty sure had impacted crop is wheesing, plus her crop is hard as a rock, and it's sticking out. I'm still pretty new to the world of chickens but I've been learning my way. I really need help with this one though! I've read different things about olive oil, and syringes and things... but I really need something easy. I've looked at the things on olive oil and giving them liquid but I've seen good reviews for that but also bad? I just don't know what to do! Thanks guys in advance!

Dont you have to squirt in a certain place? Or just her beak? Could it get in her lungs or anything? Haha thanks Im just kind of paranoid and would a dropper work or something else?

An impacted crop is something that you have to attend to right away. There are lots of threads on this board about treating an impacted crop. They tend to fall into three categories. Let nature take its course which often leads to the bird dying. Second is taking it to a vet and third is home remedies. These home remedies run from introducing oil into the crop and massaging it to break up the mass, to holding the bird upside down attempting it to vomit, to people who pull out razor blades or scissors and knives to do their own surgery on the bird. I am of the first school of home remedies. I have used oil and vigorous massage on a RIR hen on two different occassions to good effect. In both cases, it took about two days to get rid of the blockage. I have also taken a bird to the vet for crop surgery when my home remedy attempt didn't work.
You do have to be careful about putting the oil in the bird's throat. Make sure you tilt her head backward (her beak will open automatically) and place the dropper toward the back of her throat. Good luck.

Thank you! Will she vomit with impacted crop? It just seems hard not mushy or watery? What about baking soda in the water? Or dropping some in her mouth? Do you know how much or anything? I'm just paranoid of getting anything in her lungs! Thank you very much everyone~

Back
Top Bottom