PLEASE Help Injured ducks!

Birdmama2020

Chirping
Jul 24, 2020
My ducks were attacked by a mink. I lost 2 and have 2 injured. My Peking girl is drinking, even more so when I hold the dish up to her. She's even had a couple Peas and totally shocked me when she laid an egg today. My other girl is doing better then yesterday (day of attack) she is drinking a little but not much. I got her head to quit bleeding but it keeps starting again.
-My question is what is the best thing to do for her?
- Is leaving her be to rest the best option or should I be putting her in the bath tub with Epson salts every day for a bit?
-Should I be covering the wound? -Putting cream on it
Or waiting till it completely stops bleeding? Please help. I don't want to do something to make it worse or prolong healing..
Is Mecca ointment ok to use?
I also have Iodine gental spray and Vetericyn plus spray.

🙏

Attachments

• 20220328_161016.jpg
    20220328_161016.jpg
    399 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220328_161023.jpg
    20220328_161023.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 7
I swear by Vetercin, both the spray to clean out the wound and the hydrogel. It is a miracle! Spray the hydrogel on 3-4 times a day to protect the wound and help in heal.

Poor babies, sorry about this.

Last edited:
I'm sorry about your babies, I would start my treating your struggling girl for shock. Sounds like she's experiencing a good amount of it with that head injury.

You will want to offer sugar water with electrolytes. Or just sugar water, thats most important. Gatorade, or Nutri-Drench also works. Try to get her to drink some. Getting here hydrated with the sugar water will help her recover.
If she wont drink, I might consider syringing some water to possibly help revive her, and get her interested in water.
I'll explain how to syringe water if that is a last resort, I think its best avoided though.

Along with that, first things first, get her head to stop bleeding. Blood loss could be contributing to her prolonged shock, and her struggling.
I would get some corn starch, or better yet blood stop powder, and apply that to the wound. Then apply pressure, which she may resist for a few minutes. Lift the towel an see if the bleeding stopped. Cornstarch is good for clotting wounds, so hopefully that will help you.

For your girl, identify every wound. After that, rinse the wounds with Vetericyn, Saline Solution, Diluted Oildine, or chlorhexadine. If you don't have any of that, warm soapy water will do. Flush the wounds and clip away any feathers, then apply a thick layer of pain free Neosporin, or other pain free antibiotic ointment.
Do the same for your struggling girl once her wound stops bleeding.
I wouldn't wrap the wounds. Done incorrectly, it can trap bacteria and prevent healing. You'll want to flush the wounds twice every day and reapply ointment as necessary.
Offer a soupy mash of feed to them as well, this will help hydrate them, and make it easier to eat. You can soak pellets or crumbles to get a mash pretty easily.

I hope this helps, good luck with your girls! Keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom