Please help! Is this Marek's?

redhead_19_79

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
I don't know what is wrong with my chicken but something is not right. I've done a lot of research on here but I still can't figure it out. For the past month she has been becoming more isolated from my other hen and is very lethargic. She sits by herself all day and always sits next to a tree, wall, or fence. She used to come running up to us when we went outside but not anymore. She has been molting for over a month now and has not layed an egg in over a month either. She is eating and drinking normally and her poop seems okay. She experienced a case of fly strike about 6 months ago. We caught it very quickly and she survived it but I am not sure if that has anything to do with it. Maybe she was traumatized? I started her yesterday on Cephalexin 250 mg/ 2 times a day. I have also tried feeding her a yogurt mixture with vitamin B complex, vitamin E, and Selenium added in it but she didn't really like it. Is there something from the pet store I can buy to give her? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am getting really worried!

My husband said when he went out this morning her neck was laying completely back (like it was broken) and it seemed like she couldn't move it for a minute but then he picked her up and she was fine again. I though it might be Marek's at first but it seems like that is more common in chicks. My hen is around 2 years old. Also it seems that chickens with Marek's can barely walk she is able to walk it's just very slow.

This really sucks!! My pullet has been bad for the past week. Kinda the same signs, wasn't socalizing with the others, laying down all the time, eating, drinking but having problems walking. I did research as much as I could as well but can't find much. I've tried asking on here for help but didn't get any where. I'm thinking my girl has Marecks but I just don't know. I found her this morning not moving with her head back I picked her up thinking she was dead but she wasn't. Unfortunatly we are going to have to put her down. I hate to but there's nothing more we can do for her. She's only 4 mos old. I'm trying to find a University close to see if they'll do a necropsy on her and tell me what's wrong.

I sure do hope your girl gets better.
hugs.gif

It didn't seem like Marek's to me either, but the neck thing was really weird. Just hoping someone had other ideas.

I just had a hen that could not walk, otherwise seemed ok, kinda tired, but eating some. Anyway, I looked it up here and read about giving them extra Vit. B12 and Vit. E and it worked! after 4 days she is fine and with the rest of the flock again. I also gave her and all the hens some electrlyte solution I got from the feed store to give them all a boost, they are in a molt now and it seems to be stressful for them, also, more protein, like sunflower seeds. She also got warm baths that she seemed to like! Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom