Please help!! I've had 5 chicks die in 12 hours

Pics

FLChickenChick

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2021
I've had 4 vorwerk chicks die in 12 hours. They are pooping blood, but it's just straight bright red blood. No actual feces. They get really weak, have a seizure (?), then die. I've tried departing them as soon as I notice they are sick, but by that time they don't seem to be savable. They are from eggs I ordered online that I hatched. I have medicated feed for them, probiotics and electrolytes in their water. And as soon as I noticed the blood I added baycox to the water at 1.5mL per a liter. This morning I woke up to the 4th one dead, and a cochin I'm a completely different brooder box extremely weak with no bloody stool. Idk what to do. I've raised hundreds of birds and have never had this happen. I'm beside myself.

Thanks for the link but you might want to know that the doses listed there are not correct.

Treating Coccidiosis with Corid, Amprol, AmproMed
The Correct Amprolium Dose

Treatment20% Powder9.6% Liquid
For 3-5 days1.5 teaspoons per gallon2 teaspoons per gallon
then for 7-14 days1/3 teaspoon per gallon1/2 teaspoon per gallon

When treating coccidisosis in my own birds I use the 0.024% severe outbreak dose for 5 days, then the 0.006% amount for 7-14 days. Since I use the liquid, I use 2 teaspoons per gallon for five days, then 1/2 teaspoon for 7-14 days.

The FDA, FARAD, and the mfg's say this:
"Administer at 0.012% in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 days to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give 0.024%); continue with 0.006%
amprolium medicated water for an additional 1 week to 2 weeks. No other source of drinking water should be available to the birds during this time."
Source: http://www.farad.org/vetgram/ProductInfo.asp?byNada=033-165

When treating a bird for coccidiosis one can give an oral drench in addition to their medicated water. Here are the instructions:

9.6% liquid - Do not dilute
  • Give 0.1 ml per pound of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.
or
  • 0.02 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.

20% powder - Mix 1/2 teaspoon powder with 2 teaspoons water.
  • Give 0.34 ml per pound of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.
or
  • 0.07 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.

The directions above are the same when using any 9.6% liquid or 20% powder. Such products include Amprol, AmproMed, Amprolium 200, Amprid, CocciAid, etc.

Click here to learn how to give medications orally:
Safely Administering Oral Medications to All Poultry and Waterfowl

My recommendations are exactly how I treat one of my when it presents as yours have.

1. Bring inside and get warm (80-85 degrees is ideal, no not leave them outside)
  2. Weigh
  3. Give fluids
  4. Give Baycox & Corid orally. Also provide water medicated with Corid

Thank you! (I wouldn't have even commented if I knew all the experts were already helping (in a duplicate thread?!)) I think the link was just going off the back of the Corid package (that says "10mg amprolium/kg body weight"?) but I am assuming that's for calves and you all definitely know best for the chooks! Thanks for the info!
Hey, no worries. When I first joined BYC there was little to no correct amprolium dosing info and I have spent literally hundreds of hours scouring veterinary textbooks, the FARAD website, the FDA website, and manufacturer's websites for this.

It sounds like coccidiosis. See if you can get them Corid (amprolium) at your feed store/tractor supply. The medicated chick starter is supposed to help prevent it, so maybe I am wrong and someone else will know better. I don't think it can hurt to start treating them with another source of amprolium. I'm sorry to hear about your chicks! I hope the rest make it! Here is some info on dosages: https://bestautomaticchickendoor.com/corid-for-chickens/

Back
Top Bottom