Please help!! I've had 5 chicks die in 12 hours

Pics

FLChickenChick

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2021
I've had 4 vorwerk chicks die in 12 hours. They are pooping blood, but it's just straight bright red blood. No actual feces. They get really weak, have a seizure (?), then die. I've tried departing them as soon as I notice they are sick, but by that time they don't seem to be savable. They are from eggs I ordered online that I hatched. I have medicated feed for them, probiotics and electrolytes in their water. And as soon as I noticed the blood I added baycox to the water at 1.5mL per a liter. This morning I woke up to the 4th one dead, and a cochin I'm a completely different brooder box extremely weak with no bloody stool. Idk what to do. I've raised hundreds of birds and have never had this happen. I'm beside myself.

I've had 4 vorwerk chicks die in 12 hours. They are pooping blood, but it's just straight bright red blood. No actual feces. They get really weak, have a seizure (?), then die. I've tried departing them as soon as I notice they are sick, but by that time they don't seem to be savable. They are from eggs I ordered online that I hatched. I have medicated feed for them, probiotics and electrolytes in their water. And as soon as I noticed the blood I added baycox to the water at 1.5mL per a liter. This morning I woke up to the 4th one dead, and a cochin I'm a completely different brooder box extremely weak with no bloody stool. Idk what to do. I've raised hundreds of birds and have never had this happen. I'm beside myself.
Yikes!!! I have no idea ho to help you but separate them and wait for others to help you!!!

Theyre already separate. And I don't see anyone else defecating blood at this point. They all seem active and eating. But I don't know 😭😭😭 They seem to just crash

It sounds like coccidiosis. See if you can get them Corid (amprolium) at your feed store/tractor supply. The medicated chick starter is supposed to help prevent it, so maybe I am wrong and someone else will know better. I don't think it can hurt to start treating them with another source of amprolium. I'm sorry to hear about your chicks! I hope the rest make it! Here is some info on dosages: https://bestautomaticchickendoor.com/corid-for-chickens/

What are the symptoms? Have the dead ones shown signs of weakness or anything abnormal before dying, or was it just that they had bloody poop and then died? Also are the rest of the chicks pooping blood, bloody diarrhea, or anything else abnormal? Also, when did this bloody poop start? recently, or forever?

What are the symptoms? Have the dead ones shown signs of weakness or anything abnormal before dying, or was it just that they had bloody poop and then died? Also are the rest of the chicks pooping blood, bloody diarrhea, or anything else abnormal? Also, when did this bloody poop start? recently, or forever?
They become weak and the bloody poop just started yesterday to the best of my knowledge. I change their water 2 times a day and haven't noticed any weak chicks or bloody stool before yesterday

Back
Top Bottom