Please help!! I've had 5 chicks die in 12 hours

Thanks for the link but you might want to know that the doses listed there are not correct.

Treating Coccidiosis with Corid, Amprol, AmproMed
The Correct Amprolium Dose

Treatment20% Powder9.6% Liquid
For 3-5 days1.5 teaspoons per gallon2 teaspoons per gallon
then for 7-14 days1/3 teaspoon per gallon1/2 teaspoon per gallon

When treating coccidisosis in my own birds I use the 0.024% severe outbreak dose for 5 days, then the 0.006% amount for 7-14 days. Since I use the liquid, I use 2 teaspoons per gallon for five days, then 1/2 teaspoon for 7-14 days.

The FDA, FARAD, and the mfg's say this:
"Administer at 0.012% in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 days to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give 0.024%); continue with 0.006%
amprolium medicated water for an additional 1 week to 2 weeks. No other source of drinking water should be available to the birds during this time."
Source: http://www.farad.org/vetgram/ProductInfo.asp?byNada=033-165

When treating a bird for coccidiosis one can give an oral drench in addition to their medicated water. Here are the instructions:

9.6% liquid - Do not dilute
  • Give 0.1 ml per pound of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.
or
  • 0.02 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.

20% powder - Mix 1/2 teaspoon powder with 2 teaspoons water.
  • Give 0.34 ml per pound of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.
or
  • 0.07 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.

The directions above are the same when using any 9.6% liquid or 20% powder. Such products include Amprol, AmproMed, Amprolium 200, Amprid, CocciAid, etc.

Click here to learn how to give medications orally:
Safely Administering Oral Medications to All Poultry and Waterfowl

Back
Top Bottom