Please help!! I've had 5 chicks die in 12 hours

I don't
If it is IBV, there is no treatment. :(

If they were mine I would:
  • get them in a warm brooder, 80-85 degrees is ideal.
  • give warmed fluids orally via a tube. Give 2-3 ml per 100 grams of body weight
  • give toltrazuril orally at 20 mg/kg
  • give corid orally at 20 mg/kg twice a day
Do you have a scale you can weigh them

If it is IBV, there is no treatment. :(

If they were mine I would:
  • get them in a warm brooder, 80-85 degrees is ideal.
  • give warmed fluids orally via a tube. Give 2-3 ml per 100 grams of body weight
  • give toltrazuril orally at 20 mg/kg
  • give corid orally at 20 mg/kg twice a day
Do you have a scale you can weigh them on?
I don't but I'll go buy one and buy corid right now

My recommendations are exactly how I treat one of my when it presents as yours have.

1. Bring inside and get warm (80-85 degrees is ideal, no not leave them outside)
  2. Weigh
  3. Give fluids
  4. Give Baycox & Corid orally. Also provide water medicated with Corid

Thanks for the link but you might want to know that the doses listed there are not correct.

Treating Coccidiosis with Corid, Amprol, AmproMed
The Correct Amprolium Dose

Treatment20% Powder9.6% Liquid
For 3-5 days1.5 teaspoons per gallon2 teaspoons per gallon
then for 7-14 days1/3 teaspoon per gallon1/2 teaspoon per gallon

When treating coccidisosis in my own birds I use the 0.024% severe outbreak dose for 5 days, then the 0.006% amount for 7-14 days. Since I use the liquid, I use 2 teaspoons per gallon for five days, then 1/2 teaspoon for 7-14 days.

The FDA, FARAD, and the mfg's say this:
"Administer at 0.012% in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 days to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give 0.024%); continue with 0.006%
amprolium medicated water for an additional 1 week to 2 weeks. No other source of drinking water should be available to the birds during this time."
Source: http://www.farad.org/vetgram/ProductInfo.asp?byNada=033-165

When treating a bird for coccidiosis one can give an oral drench in addition to their medicated water. Here are the instructions:

9.6% liquid - Do not dilute
  • Give 0.1 ml per pound of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.
or
  • 0.02 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.

20% powder - Mix 1/2 teaspoon powder with 2 teaspoons water.
  • Give 0.34 ml per pound of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.
or
  • 0.07 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.

The directions above are the same when using any 9.6% liquid or 20% powder. Such products include Amprol, AmproMed, Amprolium 200, Amprid, CocciAid, etc.

Click here to learn how to give medications orally:
Safely Administering Oral Medications to All Poultry and Waterfowl
Thank you! (I wouldn't have even commented if I knew all the experts were already helping (in a duplicate thread?!)) I think the link was just going off the back of the Corid package (that says "10mg amprolium/kg body weight"?) but I am assuming that's for calves and you all definitely know best for the chooks! Thanks for the info!

I'm already using baycox/toltrazuril which is a coccidiostat. Should I use both? That's what the vet recommended because it's fast acting and kills coccidia

If you have a vet, take a fecal sample to be sure it is coccidia...it could always pop up false negative but I feel like if it is coccdia and they are dying should show up on a fecal test

Last edited:
Thank you! (I wouldn't have even commented if I knew all the experts were already helping (in a duplicate thread?!)) I think the link was just going off the back of the Corid package (that says "10mg amprolium/kg body weight"?) but I am assuming that's for calves and you all definitely know best for the chooks! Thanks for the info!
Hey, no worries. When I first joined BYC there was little to no correct amprolium dosing info and I have spent literally hundreds of hours scouring veterinary textbooks, the FARAD website, the FDA website, and manufacturer's websites for this.

Back
Top Bottom