Please help, Lethargic Chick, White Mucous Droppings

FreedomRun

Hatching
Jul 4, 2023
NW Oregon
Hello all. I have a 4 week old lavender orpington who doesn't seem to be doing well today and her droppings are laden with white stringy mucous, the first one having contents of poo but the second was very watery.

5 days ago she exhibited signs of feeling under the weather: slightly lethargic, low appetite although she did peck at the wet feed when it was introduced, and she was still drinking water. I noticed these little bits of orange pieces in her droppings that pointed to signs of simply being intestinal lining, although it was also covered in a white stringy mucous.
20230629_165832.jpg

I caught her dropping this type twice on that day and no more. After those two, her droppings looked completely normal and the next day, she was back to her perky self along with the others.

Fast forward to today and she is back to sleeping all day, slow movements, drinking on occasion and measily packing the wet feed. She may have passed a little orange bit here, but her droppings are covered in the milky white mucous. Here's the front and back of the first poo I caught today:
20230704_112143.jpg

20230704_112308.jpg

As you can see, there is poo content in the first dropping and then here's her second dropping that was completely watery and appeared yellow as she dropped it:
20230704_130157.jpg

She has been exposed to her run almost every single day for half the day since she was a little over a week old. The only thing I've done differently within the past couple of days is introduce a small amount of watermelon to the girls and dug a deep plug of earth with the grass, dandelion and clover attached and put it in their run to rifle through.

Can anyone please help me identify what is going on and how I can help her thrive again?

Attachments

• 20230629_165832.jpg
    20230629_165832.jpg
    443.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230704_112200.jpg
    20230704_112200.jpg
    440.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230704_112308.jpg
    20230704_112308.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230704_130157.jpg
    20230704_130157.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 1
Yes - coccidiosis.

You can get the liquid solution at just about any feed store at 9.6% concentration.

You'll want to put it in the communal water source - 2 TBS per gallon and change out the water daily until symptoms subside. It is likely your other chicks will also have it.

If symptoms worsen, you can also give it direct. But be careful not to aspirate if administering with a syringe straight to the beak.

@nuthatched @BastyPutt Thank you so much for your replies! I haven't treated yet, as the order of liquid Corvid won't arrive until the 6th, but I'm curious if I can begin treating with ACV water until I can dose the girls? If so, what would be my mix ratio? Also, just to note, Aurora is looking very perky and happy this morning, although I've not seen a dropping from her just yet.

@nuthatched @BastyPutt Thank you so much for your replies! I haven't treated yet, as the order of liquid Corvid won't arrive until the 6th, but I'm curious if I can begin treating with ACV water until I can dose the girls? If so, what would be my mix ratio? Also, just to note, Aurora is looking very perky and happy this morning, although I've not seen a dropping from her just yet.
I am a natural remedy freak, but will say no, it would be beyond the point of ACV being effective. It is more of a preventative.

The 6th is tomorrow, so that should be fine.

To my knowledge, acv water won't treat Coccidosis. I'm glad she's looking better, it might be just a mild case.

@nuthatched @BastyPutt Again, thank you very much. I ended up cancelling my Amazon order of the Corvid and just made it back from a feed store to purchase it instead. I'm going out of town tomorrow and didn't want my mother to have to deal with this completely on her own. I felt the need to get started on a treatment sooner rather than later. I sincerely appreciate the both of you and your knowledge and will update with how everything goes! <3

@BastyPutt As a self proclaimed natural remedy freak, do you have any suggestions on what to give the chicks to boost back their immune system and good natural gut bacteria, after or during the Corid treatment? I did purchase a 'Chick Boost' that includes probiotics, vitamins and electrolytes including A, C, D, E, K and Acidophilus. Does this seem sufficient enough to you?

@BastyPutt As a self proclaimed natural remedy freak, do you have any suggestions on what to give the chicks to boost back their immune system and good natural gut bacteria, after or during the Corid treatment? I did purchase a 'Chick Boost' that includes probiotics, vitamins and electrolytes including A, C, D, E, K and Acidophilus. Does this seem sufficient enough to you?
Self proclaimed is the key 😉

I'm a not certain about probiotics and corid, but in general - ACV in water and feeding fermented grain/food is an incredible preventative measure. Fermented food is something that has really changed the whole health of the flock here, in my opinion - for chicks and adult birds. We haven't had any gut issues in years, for as long as I can remember. And the chickens love it.

Raw milk, preferably the colostrum, is highly debated here, but I love to give our flock milk from our goats. We will give them a gallon/week for 100 chickens. It is a diarrhetic and will clean them out in short order. I personally wouldn't give them milk from the supermarket. The rebuttal to milk is chickens are rumored to not be able to process it, lactose intolerant. But - something you would be able to research as I did 🧐

One quick note on ACV, always make sure to offer clean water alongside it - especially in the summer.

You'll want to put it in the communal water source - 2 TBS per gallon and change out the water daily until symptoms subside. It is likely your other chicks will also have it.
2 Teaspoons (tsp) not Tablespoon (Tbsp/Tbs)

@FreedomRun make a note of correct dosing.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Back
Top Bottom