Please help - lethargic hen, not eating

One of my hens acts likes what you've described when she molts. She just withdraws from the rest of the bunch, and seems to molt harder than the rest. She had her first molt at 7 months old, it lasted for 4 months. Same hen is molting again this year!

The only time I've had a hen experience egg binding issues, she was still walking around, but almost in a crouch/sit position, very ungainly. Wings somewhat outstretched. Obviously uncomfortable. She hadn't laid in a few days, and then the next day, laid a HUGE egg (72 grams).

I hope things work out ok. :)

Thank you all for your helpful responses! I followed the suggestions you all provided for placing her in the crate but keeping her near the other chickens, checking her crop, feeding her foods that would help with the crop issue, and kept a close eye on her.

She looked MUCH better yesterday, so I let her roam around with the other chickens although she still kept some distance from them. Today, she is back to her old self again - running to the door when I open it, and scratching around and following the others!

It could have been the molt that caused her to feel icky, or it could've been her crop. It was squishy like a water balloon on Saturday, even though she hadn't eaten anything. I followed the steps you all gave and checked it yesterday morning and it felt empty.

Henny and I are thankful to all of you who took the time to offer suggestions! :)

Back
Top Bottom