Please help little chick not moving

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GiGi123, Jan 2, 2011.

1. GiGi123

GiGi123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2010
    hello everyone,
    I incubated some eggs and they hatched a little over a week ago. they were scheduled to hatch on wednesday. we had some lower temps so i expected a thursday friday hatch. one hatched hatched right after midnight on saturday, while the others hatched on thursday and friday, so it isn't that much younger. though it is so much littler than the others, maybe half the size of it's brothers and sisters.It is now a little over a week old and doesn't seem to have the energy everyone else does and does alot of sleeping. It can move and walk around when it wants to but most of the time it sleeps. i'm really worried about it. The other chicks in the brooder with it were stepping on its head and running on top of it so i moved it to an isolated part of the brooder. The chick can still see all of it's brothers and sisters but they just can't step on it. I put paper towels down so i can see if it poops. I haven't seen it eat or drink yet.
    is there anything i can do to help it become stronger and move around more? maybe add stuff to food and/or water?

thank you,
    Gigi

2. Yvonne37894

Yvonne37894 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    I'm suggesting a few things to try
    make sure the chick has drank water
    disolve a little sugar in some water for energy
    put a drop at a time on the corner of its beak to get it to drink
    get some baby poly vi sol with out iron
    again 1 drop at a time up to 3 drops

We all love to hatch chicks the sad part is that some just don't make it.

3. GiGi123

GiGi123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2010
    thank you for your help.
    She's gone. (not really sure if it was a she but we always thought of her as one)
    She stopped breathing while i was dissolving the sugar in the water.
    I'm guessing she had something wrong with her and stopped lliving off yolk reserves.
    but thank you for your help,

gigi

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

So sorry, yes some just don't thrive and we lose them, no matter what we do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by